David de Gea confirms Manchester United exit

Forum 9 months ago

David de Gea confirms Manchester United exit

David de Gea has confirmed that he will leave Manchester United this summer after failing to agree the terms of a new contract.

The goalkeeper's previous deal expired this summer and he was offered the chance to re-sign on significantly reduced terms, but De Gea has now confirmed that he will instead walk away from Old Trafford.

"I just wanted to send this farewell message to all Manchester United supporters," he wrote on Twitter.

"I would like to express my unwavering gratitude and appreciation for the love from the last 12 years. We’ve achieved a lot since my dear Sir Alex Ferguson brought me to this club. I took incredible pride every time I pulled on this shirt, to lead the team, to represent this institution, the biggest club in the world was an honour only bestowed upon a few lucky footballers.

"It’s been an unforgettable and successful period since I came here. I didn’t think from leaving Madrid as a young boy we would achieve what we did together.

"Now, it’s the right time to undertake a new challenge, to push myself again in new surroundings.

"Manchester will always be in my heart, Manchester has shaped me and will never leave me."

De Gea leaves United after 12 years at Old Trafford which yielded 545 appearances in all competitions and eight trophies, including the 2012/13 Premier League title.

While United were hopeful of keeping De Gea, club officials have long been searching for a new high-level goalkeeper and are close to striking an agreement for Inter's Andre Onana.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Anthony Joshua confirms date, venue of next fight, possible opponents
Forum | 11 hours ago

Anthony Joshua confirms date, venue of next fight, possible opponents

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 2 days ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 2 days ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth
Forum | 2 days ago

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth