Kylian Mbappe points finger at PSG hierarchy over Champions League failings

Forum 9 months ago

Kylian Mbappe points finger at PSG hierarchy over Champions League failings

Kylian Mbappe has pointed the finger at Paris Saint-Germain's hierarchy for the club's continued failings in the Champions League.

The Ligue 1 giants crashed out of last season's competition at the last 16 stage after being outclassed by Bayern Munich over the course of two legs - Mbappe missed the second encounter because of an injury but did play in PSG's 1-0 loss at the Parc des Princes.

Mbappe''s future has been dominating the headlines in recent weeks after it was revealed that he does not intend to renew his contract at PSG, which expires next summer.

The 24-year-old will then be able to leave the club on a free transfer, much to the annoyance of club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi. He has told Mbappe's agent and mother, Fayza Lamari, of PSG's intention to sell this summer in order to receive a transfer fee - something the player himself is seemingly unwilling to do as he wants to wait.

Mbappe's future aside, there have been murmerings of discontent in Paris for a while. Christophe Galtier has been replaced in the managerial dugout by Luis Enrique, while Lionel Messi has departed the club to join Inter Miami. PSG also want to rid themselves of Neymar, in what appears to be the dawning of a new era.

But past failures were the subject of a recent interview with Mbappe while on France international duty, and he was quick to point the finger at those in power at PSG for things continuing to go wrong.

“I don't know what PSG are missing (to win the Champions League), it's not too much of a question for me," Mbappe said. "We did what we could, period. You have to talk to the people who make the team, who organise the squad, who build this club. Me, I just try to do my job as well as possible.

"I scored about forty goals in club (41), ten in selection (13). I was best player, top scorer for the fifth year in a row in Ligue 1. In the Champions League, unfortunately, I got injured before the first leg and, on the return, we were powerless. But in the group stage it seems to me that I was the most decisive player.

"I could do better by my standards. But no magic either. Even the other players gave their all. Sometimes in football you face what is called a glass ceiling. That's why it's not too much of a question for me but more for above."

Reports have claimed that Real Madrid already have an agreement in place to sign Mbappe for free next summer, though 90min understands that a potential move has not yet been formalised. The La Liga giants do retain a strong interest though, with Florentino Perez keen to take Mbappe to the Spanish capital despite his surprise U-turn on a move back in 2022.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with
Forum | 1 week ago

Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with

Premier League suits my style more than Serie A – Lookman
Forum | 1 week ago

Premier League suits my style more than Serie A – Lookman

UCL: You killed the game – Gundogan blames Barcelona teammate for PSG defeat
Forum | 1 week ago

UCL: You killed the game – Gundogan blames Barcelona teammate for PSG defeat