PSG confirm Manuel Ugarte signing from Sporting CP

Forum 9 months ago

PSG confirm Manuel Ugarte signing from Sporting CP

Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of defensive midfielder Manuel Ugarte from Sporting CP on a five-year contract.

The 22-year-old is an eight-time Uruguay international and had attracted interest from Premier League side Chelsea before deciding to move to France.

PSG wrapped up personal terms with Ugarte in May while the Blues elected to move onto other targets including Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia.

On his move to the Ligue 1 champions, Ugarte said: "I'm really happy to take this big step in my career at such a great club.

"I'm going to give my all for Paris Saint-Germain."

Ugarte becomes PSG's third signing in as many days after deals were wrapped up for free agents Marco Asensio and Milan Skriniar. Lionel Messi and Sergio Ramos have departed, while there remains intense speculation over the future of Kylian Mbappe.

The midfielder will wear the number four shirt in Paris and arrives after two seasons with Sporting where he won the 2021/22 Taca da Liga. Ugarte made 85 appearances for the Portuguese side in total, having previously impressed for Famalicao after breaking through at Fenix in Uruguay.

He will be managed by new head coach Luis Enrique in his first club role since leaving Barcelona in 2017.

Ugarte was also included in his country's squad for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar but didn't play a competitive minute as Uruguay were knocked out in the group stages.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
UCL: Why we lost 1-0 to Dortmund – PSG manager, Luis Enrique
Forum | 22 hours ago

UCL: Why we lost 1-0 to Dortmund – PSG manager, Luis Enrique

EPL: Sneijder warns Klopp’s replacement against signing many Dutch players
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Sneijder warns Klopp’s replacement against signing many Dutch players

UCL: Real Madrid will beat PSG in final, I’ll smash Mbappe – Rudiger
Forum | 2 days ago

UCL: Real Madrid will beat PSG in final, I’ll smash Mbappe – Rudiger

EPL: Neville names three signing Chelsea should make to compete for title next season
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Neville names three signing Chelsea should make to compete for title next season