Mason Mount: I was in awe of David Beckham's technique

Forum 9 months ago

Mason Mount: I was in awe of David Beckham's technique

New Manchester United signing Mason Mount admits David Beckham was a huge inspiration for him growing up, with particular emphasis placed on the former England captain's technique.

The 24-year-old has put pen to paper on a five-year contract at Old Trafford, leaving boyhood club Chelsea in a deal that could eventually be worth £60m.

Mount had been associated with Chelsea for 18 years, rising up through the club's youth ranks, but was unable to agree terms on a new contract despite holding lengthy talks. That allowed United to swoop, with a deal finally agreed after two bids were initially rejected.

United confirmed Mount as their first summer signing on Wednesday, and surprisingly revealed that he'd taken the iconic number seven shirt - made famous by the likes of Eric Cantona, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo - ahead of Alejandro Garnacho, who many had expected to take it on.

In his first interview as a United player, Mount touched on the players who had inspired him growing up, making particular reference to Beckham. Now known for being the face of Inter Miami's ownership group, he represented the Red Devils for 11 years - becoming one of the most famous players in the world - before joining Real Madrid in 2003.

"I had a lot [of inspirations]. Looking at obviously Ronaldo, I know you have seen the little video of me when I was younger - I loved watching him play and his free-kicks," Mount said.

"Becks was also a massive inspiration of mine, growing up with his free-kicks, and I was in awe of his technique. So yeah, I've had a lot of inspiration from many players. But you take a little inspiration from different parts of their games and try to put it into yours.

"I was probably around 10 [note: he was nine years old],” Mount added of the famous Ronaldo free-kick against Portsmouth. "I was there in the away end, supporting my team Pompey, and was able to witness that special moment. I think that video of me taking the free-kick in training was after that day.

“So, it inspired me. And seeing that special moment at Old Trafford, I was in the away end. As I said, I was in awe of that situation and that iconic moment. So, I'd love to now replicate it."

Mount also revealed what joining United means to him as a whole, admitting that he can't wait to pull the club's colours on for the first time.

"I’ve had the experience of playing [at Old Trafford] as the away team and it’s so tough. You’re not just playing against the team, you’re playing against the fans as well. It’s a theatre to come and play and you look forward to it every time.

"Now I’m obviously putting the home kit on and I can’t wait to walk out there, those nights are going to be special and now the focus is on doing well and enjoying it at the same time."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 1 day ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth
Forum | 1 day ago

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth

The Movie Critic: Quentin Tarantino Was Reportedly Eying David Krumholtz for a Role
Forum | 3 days ago

The Movie Critic: Quentin Tarantino Was Reportedly Eying David Krumholtz for a Role

Davido Spoils His Wife, Chioma, With Wads of Dollar BIlls Ahead of Her Birthday on April 30
Forum | 3 days ago

Davido Spoils His Wife, Chioma, With Wads of Dollar BIlls Ahead of Her Birthday on April 30