Emile Smith Rowe discusses fight for Arsenal place with Kai Havertz

Forum 9 months ago

Emile Smith Rowe discusses fight for Arsenal place with Kai Havertz

Arsenal midfielder Emile Smith Rowe has opened up on the club's recent signing of Kai Havertz.

The Gunners have been busy strengthening their squad this summer off the back of their best Premier League season in nearly two decades.

Mikel Arteta's men will also be returning to the Champions League after securing the club's first top-four finish since 2016.

Smith Rowe only played a bit-part role during the 2022/23 season due to various injuries as well as the form of other players in his position, with Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Martinelli enjoying stellar campaigns.

Another obstacle has been added to his route back to the starting XI with Havertz signing from Chelsea earlier this week. Arteta notably said the versatile German is likely to play in midfield during his unveiling.

Speaking to The Sun while on international duty with England at the European Under-21 Championships, Smith Rowe admitted he has been impressed with Arsenal's transfer activity so far.

"I see what happens and obviously it's good for the club to add strength to the team," he said.

"I feel like the additions we're making are going to really help the team progress again.

"It's really exciting so hopefully we can go one step further next season."

When asked if there would be extra competition for his spot following Havertz's arrival, Smith Rowe replied: "Of course, but this is football.

"You've just got to get on with it. I’ve got to keep working hard and it's healthy competition. I've got to keep fighting."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race

EPL: Arteta reacts to Cole Palmer possibly missing Arsenal vs Chelsea
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: Arteta reacts to Cole Palmer possibly missing Arsenal vs Chelsea

Boy Kills World: Bill Skarsgård Engages in a Gun Fight in New Clip
Forum | 4 days ago

Boy Kills World: Bill Skarsgård Engages in a Gun Fight in New Clip

EPL: ‘He was outstanding’ – Arteta names player that helped Arsenal beat Wolves
Forum | 5 days ago

EPL: ‘He was outstanding’ – Arteta names player that helped Arsenal beat Wolves