No regrets over demolition, says Kano gov

Forum 10 months ago

No regrets over demolition, says Kano gov

Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, on Friday, told the Emir of Kano and Chairman of the State Council of Emirs, His Highness, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, that he had no regrets in demolishing property considered “illegal” by his administration.

The governor urged the royal father to continue supporting the policies of his administration, which he said were designed to usher in development in the state, as well as spread the dividends of democracy to the people.

Yusuf made these remarks at the Government House in Kano, the state capital, when the emir, in the company of district heads and other members of the Emirate Council paid him Sallah homage, as part of the activities to mark the Eid-el-Kabir celebrations.

He said, “Your Highness, it is important for the Emirate council to note that we embarked on the demolition exercise to recover public property illegally acquired, as well as ensure that all such property are restored for the interest of the good people of Kano.”

The governor listed his administration’s achievements to include the payment of N1.5bn NECO fees for 55,000 secondary school students, restoration of street lights; and minimising the cases of phone snatching within the Kano metropolis.

In his remarks, Emir Bayero said the visit was to felicitate the governor on Eid-el-Kabir, even as he assured him of his readiness to offer advice that would be beneficial to the development of the state.

Meanwhile, the Kano State Government is to constitute a committee, within the next few days to investigate how 10,000 workers, whose salaries have been blocked, were engaged by the immediate past Abdullahi Umar Ganduje-led administration.

At an emergency press conference jointly addressed by the Commissioner of Information, Halilu Dantiye, the Head of Service, Usman Mohammed, and the Accountant-General, Abdulkadir Abdulsala, the state government clarified that the said workers had not been retrenched.

According to Dantiye, who spoke on behalf of the state government, at the end of investigations, those established to have been legally engaged will henceforth be paid their salaries as at when due, adding that those confirmed to have been employed illegally would be booted out from service.

“The state government will constitute a verification committee to investigate the circumstances surrounding the employment of the 10,000 workers. Those found to have been engaged without complying with due process will be sacked outright.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
My father never campaigned for me, Gov Sani is my mentor – El-Rufai’s son
Forum | 2 hours ago

My father never campaigned for me, Gov Sani is my mentor – El-Rufai’s son

Akpabio, Gov Eno realigns for 2027 re-election bid
Forum | 6 hours ago

Akpabio, Gov Eno realigns for 2027 re-election bid

Chris Hemsworth Defends Superhero Movies From Critics, Says ‘Billions Watch Them’
Forum | 23 hours ago

Chris Hemsworth Defends Superhero Movies From Critics, Says ‘Billions Watch Them’

Wike vs Fubara: I was offered money to impeach Rivers gov – Chief of Staff, Ehie
Forum | 1 day ago

Wike vs Fubara: I was offered money to impeach Rivers gov – Chief of Staff, Ehie