Man Utd coach confirms Erik ten Hag's interest in midfield target

Forum 9 months ago

Man Utd coach confirms Erik ten Hag's interest in midfield target

Manchester United coach Benni McCarthy has confirmed Erik ten Hag is interested in a midfield target currently playing in the Dutch Eredivisie.

The Red Devils are on the hunt for reinforcements in the summer transfer window, though are yet to make a signing ahead of the 2023/24 season.

90min understands Man Utd have had three bids rejected by Chelsea for Mason Mount and are currently unwilling to meet their £60m asking price.

They also retain an interest in Barcelona's Frenkie de Jong, who is now also being courted by Bayern Munich.

While these sagas continue to rumble on, McCarthy has seemed to confirm reports that Man Utd have kept tabs on USA international Taylor Booth, who is currently at FC Utrecht in the Netherlands.

In an interview with 947 Joburg in his native South Africa, McCarthy said Ten Hag asked his agent about Booth before bringing the former striker onto his coaching staff for the 2022/23 season.

"Erik ten Hag, the manager, came in and he spoke to my agent Rob Moore about one of the players that was playing in Holland. He asked Rob about an American player [Booth] that Rob also managed," he said.

"They were just speaking about that and once the conversation had ended, he asked him: 'By the way, how's Benni doing? Is he still working in South Africa?'

"He told him he's back in Scotland, said to Rob for me to give him a call and possibly if I could possibly come see him in Manchester.

"When Rob told me the manager wanted to come and see him, there was a massive lump in my throat. I called him, I spoke to him and he asked me to come down and deliver a training session."

Booth, who recently turned 22, has been capped twice by the USMNT and came through the ranks at Bayern Munich.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Anthony Joshua confirms date, venue of next fight, possible opponents
Forum | 5 hours ago

Anthony Joshua confirms date, venue of next fight, possible opponents

EPL: Why Man Utd drew 1-1 with Burnley – Ten Hag
Forum | 17 hours ago

EPL: Why Man Utd drew 1-1 with Burnley – Ten Hag

EPL: Man Utd likely to play in Europa League next season – Ten Hag
Forum | 17 hours ago

EPL: Man Utd likely to play in Europa League next season – Ten Hag

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 2 days ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved