Aston Villa closing on Pau Torres deal but miss out on Nico Williams

Forum 10 months ago

Aston Villa closing on Pau Torres deal but miss out on Nico Williams

Aston Villa are closing in on a deal for Spain international defender Pau Torres from Villarreal, sources have confirmed to 90min.

90min confirmed Villa's interest in Torres at the start of this month and now talks have progressed further to land the 26-year-old.

Sources have told 90min that Torres, who has long been linked with a move to the Premier League having previously been of interest to Manchester United, has made it clear to Villarreal's hierarchy that he is ready to leave his hometown this summer.

Villa have a trump card in manager Unai Emery given his prior relationship with the defender having spent much of the last two seasons in charge of Torres as Villarreal boss.

Bayern Munich, Juventus and Napoli have also registered their interest in Torres this summer, but none are as anywhere near as advanced as Villa who, via their new president of football operations Monchi, are well on their way to striking a deal with Villarreal.

Torres has a release clause of around £55m but Villa are looking to work out a deal in instalments as opposed to a one-off payment.

And while a transfer for Torres is edging closer to completion, Villa's bid for another Spain star in Nico Willams looks to have failed.

90min revealed Villa opened talks with Williams and Athletic Club earlier this month, but the 20-year-old is now close to signing a new deal at San Mames.

Williams has just 12 months left on his current contract, and although he was tempted by Villa sources have told 90min that he is ready to stay in the Basque Country for at least another season, with a new two-year contract close to being agreed.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Missing UniAbuja Female Student Burnt To Death In Auto Crash – Family
Forum | 8 hours ago

Missing UniAbuja Female Student Burnt To Death In Auto Crash – Family

Missing 400-level UniAbuja Student Found Dead
Forum | 1 day ago

Missing 400-level UniAbuja Student Found Dead

I Got Money, But I Am Lonely As F*ck Cos I Miss My Mother - Skales
Forum | 2 days ago

I Got Money, But I Am Lonely As F*ck Cos I Miss My Mother - Skales