Christopher Nkunku confirms his favourite position after Chelsea transfer

Forum 10 months ago

Christopher Nkunku confirms his favourite position after Chelsea transfer

New Chelsea signing Christopher Nkunku has admitted he prefers playing as a striker rather than a midfielder or winger.

The Frenchman, whose long-awaited move to Chelsea was confirmed this month, has played all across the pitch throughout his career - former Blues boss Thomas Tuchel used him at right-back at PSG - but it was Nkunku's performances as a second striker which saw Chelsea bring him in.

While many fans are expecting to see Nkunku play as a 10 behind an out-and-out striker, the 25-year-old has admitted his favourite area on the pitch lies elsewhere.

"My favourite position is striker," he told club media. "I have also played as a midfielder and these last years I played striker - I like this position.

"I want to be happy on the pitch and do some skills and protect my football."

Chelsea are close to finalising a deal for a new striker, with Villarreal's Nicolas Jackson set to join for a fee of around £35m.

It is understood that interest remains in Napoli's Victor Osimhen, who has long been identified as Chelsea's top striker target, but his asking price of well over £100m has forced the Blues to consider other options.

Whether it's Jackson, Nkunku or anybody else who starts as Chelsea's striker next season remains to be seen, but the Blues' front line will undoubtedly look significantly different under Mauricio Pochettino as several disgruntled stars are expected to leave this summer.

Hakim Ziyech is close to joining Al Nassr and could be joined in Saudi Arabia by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, while Christian Pulisic has interest in Italy.

Mason Mount is an expensive target for Manchester United, who have not yet given up hope of signing the England international despite seeing three bids knocked back, the last of which was worth £55m.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 22 hours ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer
Forum | 2 days ago

Transfer: Iheanacho tipped to leave Leicester City this summer

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 3 days ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home
Forum | 4 days ago

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home