Civil war in Russia: This is treason, a stab in the back of our troops and the people of Russia - Putin responds to Wagner attack

Forum 10 months ago

Civil war in Russia: This is treason, a stab in the back of our troops and the people of Russia - Putin responds to Wagner attack

Russian president, Vladimir Putin has responded to the rebellion by the Wagner Group of mercenaries as a "stab in the back" and vowed "decisive action" would be taken.

Putin made the comments in a televised address on Saturday June 24, after Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin announced that military sites in the city of Rostov-on-Don are under the control of his mercenary group.

It comes after Prigozhin declared war on the Russian Ministry of Defense, accusing the Russian military of attacking Wagner positions in Ukraine.

"Those who have organized an armed rebellion will be held accountable," Putin said without mentioning Wagner or Prigozhin by name, "those who have been drawn into this, I call on you to stop your criminal actions."

Putin said that the troops "who went on the path of treason will be punished and will be held accountable," adding, "the armed forces have been given the necessary orders."

"Personal interests have led to the betrayal of our country and the cause that our armed forces are fighting," added Putin.

A civil war is currently going on in Russia between Wagner forces led by Prighozin and the Russian military.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Baby Reindeer’s Richard Gadd Responds to Viewers Looking for Real-Life Martha and Darrien
Forum | 2 days ago

Baby Reindeer’s Richard Gadd Responds to Viewers Looking for Real-Life Martha and Darrien

Civil Servants Get 2 Days Weekly To Farm In Bayelsa
Forum | 2 days ago

Civil Servants Get 2 Days Weekly To Farm In Bayelsa

Babcock University Professor Killed, Two Abducted As Gunmen Attack Event Centre In Ogun
Forum | 3 days ago

Babcock University Professor Killed, Two Abducted As Gunmen Attack Event Centre In Ogun

I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti
Forum | 4 days ago

I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti