Former Premier League and Belgium striker Cedric Roussel dead at 45 after heart attack

Forum 10 months ago

Former Premier League and Belgium striker Cedric Roussel dead at 45 after heart attack

Former Premier League footballer Cedric Roussel has sadly died at the age of 45 following a heart attack.

The Belgian enjoyed spells with Coventry City and Wolves during his career, which spanned over two decades. He suffered a fatal cardiac arrest on Saturday, June 24,

His first club in England tweeted: "Coventry City are deeply saddened to learn of the death of our former striker Cedric Roussel, at the age of just 45.

"Cedric played 43 games for the Sky Blues from 1999-2001, scoring 11 goals. Our condolences are with his family and friends at this very sad time."

Roussel, who was capped three times by Belgium, spent time at Coventry City and Wolves. He largely made his name while playing in his home country for Mons in two separate spells.

His first came in 2003 before he returned to the club four years later as a permanent signing, staying until 2010. During his first stint, Roussel scored 22 goals and was the Belgian top-flight’s leading goalscorer.

He formed a solid partnership with a young Robbie Keane, finishing the season with six Premier League goals. But he struggled in his second campaign and was sold to Wolves for £2m in the summer of 2001.

Roussel again found goals hard to come by at Molineux, finding the back of the just twice in 25 appearances. He returned to his native Belgium, for whom he achieved three caps, going on to also enjoy spells in Russia, Italy, and Cyprus before hanging up his boots.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Champions League top scorers after semi-final first leg fixtures
Forum | 1 day ago

Champions League top scorers after semi-final first leg fixtures

I
Forum | 1 day ago

I'm In A League Of My Own, I Have No Competition In The Music Industry - Flavour

Belgium: Onyedika scoops Club Brugge’s Player of the Month award
Forum | 1 day ago

Belgium: Onyedika scoops Club Brugge’s Player of the Month award

14-Year-Old Boy Killed In UK Sword Attack Was British Nigerian,
Forum | 1 day ago

14-Year-Old Boy Killed In UK Sword Attack Was British Nigerian,