Ex-minister distances self from articles against Benin monarch

Forum 10 months ago

Ex-minister distances self from articles against Benin monarch

The immediate past Minister of State for Finance, Budget and National Planning, Clem Agba, has distanced himself from articles written by some individuals to respond to the Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II, over his remarks about his stewardship as a minister.

He said he neither knew nor sponsored those behind such articles, stressing that the Oba remained his father. He called on those writing such articles and attempting to politicise the situation to “discontinue the fruitless pursuit”.

The monarch, during Agba’s visit to the palace on June 15, accused him of not doing enough for his state and that he only came twice throughout his tenure.

“As a minister, I was wondering if any of our people also benefited from your office. I am saying that so that anyone who benefited can thank you,” Ewuare said.

Meanwhile, Agba in a statement on Friday said he had no disagreement with the Oba, adding, “I do not and I will not have any disagreements with His Royal Majesty, the Oba of Benin Kingdom on any matter whatsoever.

“I would like to address some commentaries and articles that have come to my attention, purportedly in response to the questions I received from our esteemed royal father, His Royal Majesty, Omo N’oba N’edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare ll, Oba of Benin Kingdom, about my stewardship.

“Let me make it clear, without any doubt, that the commentaries and articles that have surfaced are neither sought nor sponsored by me. It is not my nature to take issues with people in public. He is not only my father but also the father of all of us in Edo State.”

He added, “Unaware to most, later that evening, His Royal Majesty graciously granted me an opportunity to privately discuss and provide clarifications and answers, especially regarding how the provision for the storage of the artifacts was captured in the budget, for which I apologised and clarified that it was not my intention.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She
Forum | 12 hours ago

Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She's a Serving NYSC Member

Electricity Tariff Will Reduce If Exchange Rate Drops To N1,000/$ – Minister Of Power, Adelabu Says
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Electricity Tariff Will Reduce If Exchange Rate Drops To N1,000/$ – Minister Of Power, Adelabu Says

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Renewed for Season 2 at Apple TV+, Spin-offs Underway
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Renewed for Season 2 at Apple TV+, Spin-offs Underway

Court Removes Osun Monarch Appointed By Adeleke
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Court Removes Osun Monarch Appointed By Adeleke