Ex-minister distances self from responses to Oba of Benin, warns critics

Forum 10 months ago

Ex-minister distances self from responses to Oba of Benin, warns critics

The immediate past Minister of State for Budget and National Planning, Clem Agba, has distanced himself from articles purportedly written by some individuals in response to the Oba of Benin’s inquiries about his (Agba’s) stewardship as a minister.

He said those writing such articles that were trending online were not known to him (Agba), nor did he sponsor any article or commission anyone to reply to the Oba, whom he described as his father.

Oba Ewuare II had, during Agba’s visit to the Benin throne on June 15, questioned the former minister about his stewardship in the state.

Agba, in a statement signed and made available to newsmen in Benin on Friday, said he had no disagreement with the Oba and distanced himself from articles on his behalf in response to the monarch.

He said, “I do not and I will not have any disagreements with His Royal Majesty, Oba of Benin Kingdom, on any matter whatsoever.

“I would like to address some commentaries and articles that have come to my attention, purportedly in response to the questions I received from our esteemed Royal Father, His Royal Majesty, Omo N’oba N’edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare ll, Oba of Benin Kingdom, about my stewardship.”

“Let me make it clear, without any doubt, that the commentaries and articles that have surfaced are neither sought nor sponsored by me. It is not my nature to join issues in public. He is not only my father but also the father of all of us in Edo State.”

The former minister said he later met with the Oba in private, where he (Agba) clarified some of the issues raised by the monarch.

He added, “However, unaware to most, later that evening, His Royal Majesty graciously granted me an opportunity to privately discuss and address those concerns, allowing me to provide clarifications and answers. Especially regarding how the provision for the storage of the artefacts was captured in the Budget, for which I apologised and clarified that was not my intention,” he stated.

He, therefore, advised, “those who insist on writing articles and commentaries, attempting to politicise the situation,” to “discontinue the fruitless pursuit.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She
Forum | 15 hours ago

Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She's a Serving NYSC Member

Don’t Give Admission to Candidates Less Than 18 Years – FG Warns Tertiary Institutions
Forum | 4 days ago

Don’t Give Admission to Candidates Less Than 18 Years – FG Warns Tertiary Institutions

Don’t Stop EFCC From Performing Its Duty - AGF Warns Politicians
Forum | 5 days ago

Forum | 1 week ago