Emefiele’s detention backed by court order, says DSS

Forum 10 months ago

Emefiele’s detention backed by court order, says DSS

The Department of State Services, on Tuesday, urged the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja to dismiss the fundamental rights suit filed by the suspended and detained Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele.

Emefiele filed the suit, through his lawyer, J.B. Daudu, to demand his freedom, alleging that the DSS had been detaining him unlawfully.

By the DSS, through its counsel, I. Awo, filed a preliminary objection in opposition to the suit.

Awo, on Tuesday, told Justice Hamza Muazu that Emefiele’s detention was lawful as the DSS had got an order of an FCT Chief Magistrate Court to keep the suspended CBN governor in custody pending conclusion of investigation.

The lawyer urged the court to dismiss the suit and award a fine against Emefiele.

The DSS had on June 9 arrested Emefiele in Lagos, shortly after President Bola Tinubu suspended him from office and ordered a probe of the CBN.

While the government has not stated the specific allegations against Emefiele and the DSS has “enjoined” the media “to apply utmost caution in the reportage and narratives concerning this,” Emefiele’s trouble may not be unconnected with the controversial naira redesign policy, leading to cash crisis ahead of the last general elections.

In the fundamental rights suit filed by the suspended CBN helmsman to challenge his detention, he listed the Attorney General of the Federation, the Director General of the DSS and the DSS as defendants.

In response to the suit, the AGF office, through its lawyer, Tijjani Ghazali (SAN), similarly filed a preliminary objection, challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear the matter.

Ghazali, at the Tuesday proceedings, told Justice Muazu that Emefiele’s arrest and detention by the DSS was an administrative decision of the executive arm government.

Besides, he contended that Emefiele’s allegation of unlawful detention was unfounded, saying the DSS already got a court order to back the detention.

Consequently, he urged the court to dismiss the suit.

However, Emefiele’s lawyer, Daudu , insisted thet the court had jurisdition to hear the matter, saying the the offences listed against his client are state offences that could be entertained by the FCT High Court.

After listening to both sides, Justice Muazu adjourned till July 13 for ruling.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She
Forum | 13 hours ago

Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking to Remove Hannatu Musawa As Minister as She's a Serving NYSC Member

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 17 hours ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’
Forum | 2 days ago

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC
Forum | 2 days ago

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC