Daley Blind admits interest in returning to Man Utd

Forum 10 months ago

Daley Blind admits interest in returning to Man Utd

Former Manchester United defender Daley Blind has admitted he was tempted to offer himself back to the club during the January transfer window to reunite with Erik ten Hag.

Blind spent four years with United after joining the club from Ajax off the back of an impressive 2014 World Cup campaign with Netherlands – he followed Louis van Gaal to Manchester.

The Dutchman was of particular importance during the 2015/16 campaign, transitioning into the centre of defence and making more appearances (56) than any other player as United lifted the FA Cup. But he became less prominent under Jose Mourinho and was sold back to Ajax in 2018.

Back in Amsterdam, Blind was an integral part of Ten Hag’s Ajax side that won a domestic league and cup double, as well as making waves in Europe by getting to within a single kick of the 2019 Champions League and claiming scalps of Real Madrid and Juventus along the way.

Blind ended up leaving Ajax by mutual consent midway through the 2022/23 season. He was quickly snapped up by Bayern Munich on a short-term contract to plug a gap in the squad, but has revealed during an appearance on the UTD Podcast he was tempted to call Ten Hag.

"To be honest, he has the same agent as me, so the connection is not that far away," Blind explained.

Although he thought about it, the 33-year-old didn’t actually pick up the phone in the end.

"He did not really need me at that moment," the player said. "He [had] already bought some players in. [Lisandro] Martinez as well, in the same position, and I am not blaming him for that. I am very thankful for the time [I had] with him. I learned a lot from him."

Blind is out of contract with Bayern at the end of the month and will become a free agent.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery
Forum | 1 day ago

Man Cuts Off Friends Because They Did Not Check On Him When He Had Surgery

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement