Frenkie de Jong reveals why 'restless' Man Utd transfer saga 'wasn't stressful'

Forum 10 months ago

Frenkie de Jong reveals why 'restless' Man Utd transfer saga 'wasn't stressful'

Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong has opened up on last summer's prolonged transfer saga which nearly saw him join Manchester United.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/25667dca7e4efc9442a6c07bc72eea70.jpg

The Dutchman was courted by the Red Devils in 2022, who had recently appointed his former manager at Ajax, Erik ten Hag.

After arriving at Old Trafford, Ten Hag made it clear that De Jong was one of his priority targets. Man Utd were willing to offer big money to Barcelona, but the midfielder was reluctant to leave Camp Nou, particularly as he was still owed millions in deferred wages.

Club president Joan Laporta insisted throughout the saga that he wanted De Jong to stay but ultimately could have been sold for the right price.

Speaking to Voetbal International, De Jong revealed that he was never particularly worried that he would have been forced out of Barça.

"That has been clear to me, also last summer when things were restless for a while. I always knew that I wanted to stay at Barcelona, that's why it wasn’t so stressful for me last summer," De Jong said.

"Also, I had just signed a contract extension [in 2020] so I always felt that I was in control and able to decide for myself.

"That's why I didn't bother [worrying about it]. I feel good at Barcelona and assume that I will still be playing here next season."

De Jong played a major role in Barcelona's La Liga triumph this season, while Man Utd were also successful despite missing out on his signing.

The Red Devils ended up bringing in midfielders Christian Eriksen and Casemiro, who formed a formidable partnership and helped the club end their six-year trophy drought.

Man Utd also knocked De Jong's Barcelona out of the Europa League in the knockout round play-offs.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race
Forum | 6 hours ago

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel
Forum | 6 hours ago

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel

Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend
Forum | 1 day ago

Young Man Shoots His Friend Dead For Taking A Bite Out Of His Girlfriend's Burger

Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up
Forum | 1 day ago

Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up