Cody Gakpo reveals new favourite position after Liverpool role change

Forum 10 months ago

Cody Gakpo reveals new favourite position after Liverpool role change

Cody Gakpo has revealed that his favoured role is now a centre forward after being utilised there by Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/1b96c0e531ea0dca892a8a039c734bcf.jpg

The Dutch international was signed by the Reds in January for a reported £35.4m and struggled in his first few games in the Premier League while being played out on the left flank. After being moved into a centre forward role, however, Gakpo started to really find his feat at Anfield and was able to finish the season with a respectable tally of seven Premier League goals.

Speaking ahead of his participation in the Nations League finals with the Netherlands this week, Gakpo has revealed his fondness for his new position and admitted he'd be keen to play in the striker role for the Dutch national team too.

"Now that I'm playing at Liverpool I think it's a nice position," he told the media. "I have become convinced that being a striker suits me.

"Guus Hiddink was the first [to use Gakpo as a striker]. He spent a while at PSV as a sounding board, saw me play and said: 'You have to become a striker or a false nine'. I didn't want to believe it then. And then when Roger Schmidt said the same thing later at PSV when he was coach, I was even more stubborn. It felt good on the left flank.

"But at the last World Cup I was already more central on the field and at Liverpool permanently in the past six months. It's been good. I'm excited now to get better in the position in the near future, for the club as well as the national team."

Gakpo may get his chance to play as a number nine for the national team during their clash with Croatia on Wednesday due to Memphis Depay's injury. The Atletico Madrid forward is currently out of action with a thigh injury.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Landman Cast: Andy Garcia Nabs Key Role in Paramount+ Series From Yellowstone Creator
Forum | 5 hours ago

Landman Cast: Andy Garcia Nabs Key Role in Paramount+ Series From Yellowstone Creator

Weapons Cast: Benedict Wong & More Join New Line Cinema’s Horror Thriller
Forum | 5 hours ago

Weapons Cast: Benedict Wong & More Join New Line Cinema’s Horror Thriller

New Deadpool & Wolverine Image Shows Hugh Jackman Ready for Battle
Forum | 5 hours ago

New Deadpool & Wolverine Image Shows Hugh Jackman Ready for Battle

Anthony Hopkins Cast as German-British Composer in New Biopic The King of Covent Garden
Forum | 11 hours ago

Anthony Hopkins Cast as German-British Composer in New Biopic The King of Covent Garden