Alphonso Davies reveals details of failed Barcelona transfer

Forum 10 months ago

Alphonso Davies reveals details of failed Barcelona transfer

Bayern Munich star Alphonso Davies has revealed how Barcelona turned down the opportunity to sign him prior to his move to the Bundesliga.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/09bc9d84023074cc16c3edeb8753c06a.jpg

Davies joined Bayern for a then-record fee for an MLS player of $22m, joining from Vancouver Whitecaps in January 2019.

Since them, the Canadian international has become one of the best full-backs in the world, winning five Bundesliga titles, two DFB-Pokals and one UEFA Champions League during his time with the Bavarian club.

Speaking on podcast 'Say Less', Davies has revealed that he could have made a move to Catalunya instead of Bavaria afer leaving MLS footballer, saying that Barcelona approached him but ultimately then-president Josep Bartomeu renegged on the deal because of the player's nationality:

“Barcelona approached me but the president [Josep Bartomeu] didn’t want me because I’m from Canada. This was what the press said, I don’t know if the President really said that, but I’m not going to lie, it kind of crushed my feelings.”

La Blaugrana are currently in the market for a full-back after the mutual termination of Jordi Alba's contract at the end of the 2022/23 season.

90min understands that the club are monitoring Joao Cancelo's situation at Manchester City and Bayern Munich. While Bayern are keen to keep hold of the Portuguese international, they are unwilling to pay anywhere near their €70m option to buy the player this summer thus potentially paving the way for Barca to swoop in and secure his services.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
‘It was a mistake, I’m sorry’ – Ruben Amorim apologises over failed move to EPL club
Forum | 4 hours ago

‘It was a mistake, I’m sorry’ – Ruben Amorim apologises over failed move to EPL club

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham
Forum | 5 hours ago

EPL: Carragher reveals ‘only reason’ Salah clashed with Klopp against West Ham

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race
Forum | 13 hours ago

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel
Forum | 13 hours ago

Transfer: Wolves table €12m bid for Osayi-Samuel