'We're in a good position' - Arsenal's Per Mertesacker hopeful of signing Ilkay Gundogan

Forum 10 months ago

'We're in a good position' - Arsenal's Per Mertesacker hopeful of signing Ilkay Gundogan

Arsenal academy manager Per Mertesacker believes that the club are well-placed to sign Ilkay Gundogan from Manchester City this summer.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/5cafd950bb1d1a827c91a3ec7c4a1bcf.jpg

Gundogan's contract expires at the end of June and he could depart the Etihad Stadium on a free transfer.

Barcelona have courted the midfielder throughout the 2022/23 season and 90min understands they are confident of winning the race for his signature.

However, Arsenal first threw their hat into the ring for Gundogan last month, with manager Mikel Arteta keen on a reunion with the German having previously worked together at Man City.

PSG have also been linked with a move for Gundogan in recent weeks.

Mertesacker, who played with Gundogan for the German national team, was on punditry duty with ZDF for Saturday's Champions League final between Man City and Inter. The Citizens won 1-0 thanks to a second-half goal from Rodri, and captain Gundogan was first to lift the famous trophy at full-time.

During the broadcast on German television, Mertesacker revealed his belief that Arsenal could very well be Gundogan's next club.

"I think the clubs are queuing. Because Arteta knows him and we probably haven't broken off contact, we're in a good position," Mertesacker said.

"I think he'll let it all sink in first and then choose from one of the four clubs."

Mertesacker added that winning the treble with Man City would allow Gundogan "to say, okay, mission accomplished."

Gundogan was asked about his future post-match in Istanbul, but he simply stated: "I have not made a final decision on my future yet."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 1 day ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race

Most Hit Songs in Nigeria Are Not Good Music – Singer Ric Hassani
Forum | 3 days ago

Most Hit Songs in Nigeria Are Not Good Music – Singer Ric Hassani

EPL: Arteta reacts to Cole Palmer possibly missing Arsenal vs Chelsea
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: Arteta reacts to Cole Palmer possibly missing Arsenal vs Chelsea