Pep Guardiola reveals message from Sir Alex Ferguson prior to Champions League final

Forum 10 months ago

Pep Guardiola reveals message from Sir Alex Ferguson prior to Champions League final

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has revealed he received a message from Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson on the eve of the UEFA Champions League final.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/b65b3ed433afbccb6ec4770888ef5c67.jpg

The Citizens became the second side in English football history to win the treble after securing their first European Cup on Saturday night, beating Inter 1-0 in the final.

The only other team to achieve such a feat were Ferguson's Man Utd back in 1999, winning the Premier League and FA Cup before beating Bayern Munich with two late goals in a stunning Champions League final.

Man Utd had the chance to scupper their noisy neighbours' treble dreams in last week's FA Cup final, but they fell to a 2-1 defeat at Wembley. Ilkay Gundogan's opener - the fastest goal in FA Cup final history - was cancelled out by a penalty from Bruno Fernandes, but the German midfielder managed to ice the game with another goal in the second half.

Man City weren't at their imperious best against Inter in Istanbul and had to wait until the 68th minute to break the deadlock. Rodri's fierce shot from just inside the 18-yard box beat Andre Onana at his near post and they managed to ride out a late onslaught of Nerazzurri chances.

Speaking to the press post-match, Guardiola admitted that Ferguson had been in touch prior to kick-off at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium.

"It's an honour for me to be alongside Sir Alex Ferguson. I got a message from him this morning. It touched me. It was nice," Guardiola said.

Ferguson was beaten twice in his only two meetings with Guardiola, with the Catalan's Barcelona side ousting Man Utd in the 2009 and 2011 Champions League finals.

Guardiola has now won 12 major honours at Man City plus two further Community Shields, making him by far and away the club's most successful manager.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up
Forum | 22 hours ago

Actress Tolulope Onamade Reveals How She Was Nearly Used for Rituals After Joining Friends for Hook-up

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert
Forum | 22 hours ago

Davido Reveals Huge Amount He Made From His Sold Out Concert at Madison Square Concert

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife
Forum | 1 day ago

Erigga Reveals How to Detect a Street Wife

Classic Okoli Weeps After Sharing Insensitive Message She Received For Escaping Boat Accident
Forum | 1 day ago

Classic Okoli Weeps After Sharing Insensitive Message She Received For Escaping Boat Accident