Tribunal dismisses AA petition against Makinde

Forum 10 months ago

Tribunal dismisses AA petition against Makinde

The Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Ibadan, Oyo State, on Friday, dismissed the petition filed by the Action Alliance challenging the victory of Governor Seyi Makinde in the March 18 governorship poll.

A three-member panel of the court led by Justice Ejiron Emudainohwo dismissed the case after the petitioner’s lawyer, Etibo King, announced the withdrawal of the petition.

Counsel for the governor, Kunle Kalejaiye, SAN, said it was the end of the petition brought by AA against the emergence of the governor during the election.

He added, “We have responded to the petition, only for us to come this morning (Friday) and find out that the party and the candidates claimed that they have looked at the petition again and they are not sure that they will succeed.

“They brought an application to withdraw the petition. We are convinced that it was when they saw our response to the petition that they made up their minds on the non-availability of the petition because we attached our petition on 18 grounds and that communicated what happened today.”

Kalejaiye said before the ruling was read that the Electoral Act should be amended to create a threshold for candidates or political parties that would file petitions before the election tribunal must have scored at least a quarter of all the total votes cast during the conduct of the poll.

Also speaking, the petitioner’s counsel said, “The panel dismissed our petition based on our application for withdrawal.”

However, the tribunal awarded N100,000, N250,000 and N250,000 as costs against AA in favour of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Makinde and the Peoples Democratic Party.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Wouldn’t Be Where I’m Without You - Tobi Makinde Defends Funke Akindele
Forum | 1 week ago

I Wouldn’t Be Where I’m Without You - Tobi Makinde Defends Funke Akindele

Shaibu To File Petition Against Edo CJ Over Impeachment
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Shaibu To File Petition Against Edo CJ Over Impeachment

Spain vs Brazil: Dani Carvajal dismisses racism claims after Vinicius broke down in tears
Forum | 4 weeks ago

Spain vs Brazil: Dani Carvajal dismisses racism claims after Vinicius broke down in tears

Appeal Court Dismisses Suits Seeking Jonathan, Buhari, Others’ Asset Forms
Forum | 1 month ago

Appeal Court Dismisses Suits Seeking Jonathan, Buhari, Others’ Asset Forms