Abbas, Kalu meet Tinubu, restate National Assembly leadership bid

Forum 10 months ago

Abbas, Kalu meet Tinubu, restate National Assembly leadership bid

The All Progressives Congress ‘anointed candidates’ for the offices of Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the 10th House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas and Benjamin Kalu, respectively, on Thursday, in Abuja, said they will not run a rubber-stamp chamber.

This followed their meeting with President Bola Tinubu at the State House, Abuja.

The 10th National Assembly is billed for inauguration on June 13.

Speaking to State House Correspondents afterwards meeting with the President, Abbas said if he emerges the Speaker, the Assembly would not be a rubber-stamp legislature under his watch.

He said, “There has never been any compromise in the National Assembly. The autonomy of the National Assembly has always been maintained, and it will continue to be maintained. There will be no any way that the independence of our National Assembly under our leadership will be compromised. This, you can take to the market.”

He said that they were at the Presidential Villa to congratulate President Tinubu on his victory in the election and his inauguration on May 29.

Asked if they discussed their aspirations with the President, he said, “We didn’t have any discussion concerning our opponents who are also aspiring to be Speakers and Deputy speakers. We restricted our discussions to the matters of the day.

“Issues that have to do with the challenges that this country is facing, particularly the economic and social challenges and what he intends to do within the next few days, beginning with what he has done on the issue of fuel subsidy. Issues of other candidates did not form part of what we discussed with Mr. President this afternoon.”

On his part, Benjamin Kalu said their joint leadership would ensure parliamentary sovereignty.

“What we’re bringing on board is parliamentary sovereignty that will ensure that the borders of the mandate of the various arms of government will be respected.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Recommended Peter Obi To Atiku, Can’t Support Tinubu In 2027 – Reno Omokri
Forum | 2 days ago

I Recommended Peter Obi To Atiku, Can’t Support Tinubu In 2027 – Reno Omokri

Why Wike Was Allowed Into PDP National Caucus Meeting - Senate Minority Leader, Moro Speaks
Forum | 2 days ago

Why Wike Was Allowed Into PDP National Caucus Meeting - Senate Minority Leader, Moro Speaks

Naira Will Continue To Appreciate Against US Dollar, Tinubu Knows The Game – Shettima
Forum | 4 days ago

Naira Will Continue To Appreciate Against US Dollar, Tinubu Knows The Game – Shettima

I Have All The Credentials To Become PDP National Chairman – Suswam
Forum | 5 days ago

I Have All The Credentials To Become PDP National Chairman – Suswam