EFCC grills Fayemi over alleged N4bn money laundering

Forum 10 months ago

EFCC grills Fayemi over alleged N4bn money laundering

A former governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, on Thursday, visited the Kwara State office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, in Ilorin, to answer questions on money laundering allegations, involving N4bn.

Sources in the commission told our correspondent that the former governor arrived the EFCC facility at about 9.40am on Thursday.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that the EFCC invited Fayemi but he wrote to the anti-graft agency to give him some time to honour the invitation.

The former minister, through his lawyer, Adeola Omotunde (SAN), pleaded with the EFCC to allow him to present a book in honour of former President, Muhammadu Buhari, on May 19, before honouring the invitation.

An EFCC source told our correspondent on Thursday that, “Fayemi arrived our Kwara command office at about 9:40am today. Our operatives are currently grilling him over alleged misappropriation of N4bn.

“I’m not sure whether he’d be released today or detained. However, he’s not the only former governor that’s currently being probed by the commission.”

When contacted, the spokesperson for the EFCC, Wilson Uwujaren, said, “I can’t speak concerning that, please.”

Fayemi’s lawyer could not be reached by our correspondent on Thursday, as the phone number obtained from his letter was unavailable.

Meanwhile, aside Fayemi, the EFCC has said it is also investigating former governor of Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle, on allegations of corruption, award of phantom contracts and alleged diversion of over N70bn.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out
Forum | 3 hours ago

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out

Who Be Your Papa? – Nollywood Actor, Emeka Ike Blasts Alleged Son Who Left School For Music
Forum | 3 hours ago

Who Be Your Papa? – Nollywood Actor, Emeka Ike Blasts Alleged Son Who Left School For Music

He Had No Sense Of Responsibility, Kogi People Were His Slaves - Former Minister, Frank Nweke Jnr Reacts As EFCC Declares Yahaya Bello Wanted
Forum | 6 hours ago

He Had No Sense Of Responsibility, Kogi People Were His Slaves - Former Minister, Frank Nweke Jnr Reacts As EFCC Declares Yahaya Bello Wanted

Don’t Stop EFCC From Performing Its Duty - AGF Warns Politicians
Forum | 7 hours ago

Don’t Stop EFCC From Performing Its Duty - AGF Warns Politicians