Inmates ‘ve right to be treated with dignity, respect – Aregbesola

Forum 10 months ago

Inmates ‘ve right to be treated with dignity, respect – Aregbesola

The Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, has called for unrelenting efforts in ensuring advocacy, monitoring, and observation of rights of prison inmates across Nigeria.

This call was made during a high-level delegation visit by the International Human Rights Commission (IHRC) in Abuja yesterday.

The meeting by the IHRC is expected to further strengthen cooperation between the federal government and international human rights organizations in ensuring the protection of human rights in Nigeria.

Speaking at the event, Aregbesola underscored the importance of upholding fundamental human rights as enshrined in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).

He stated that every individual, including inmates, has the right to be treated with dignity and respect, and that their rights must be protected at all times.

Aregbesola stressed that the government is committed to upholding the rights of every individual within its jurisdiction, including inmates.

“IHRC, therefore, has a major role to play in Nigeria regarding the people whose rights are abused, ensuring that their dignities are protected and normalcy is restored,” the Minister added.

The Head of the Diplomatic Mission of IHRC Nigeria, Dr. Duru Hezekiah, who led the delegation, said the visit was aimed at jointly exploring avenues of possible cooperation in building exclusive ties.

He commended the government’s efforts in ensuring the protection of human rights and pledged the IHRC’s support towards achieving this goal.

“We are here to strengthen our partnership with the Nigerian government in the area of human rights protection and to collaborate towards achieving a common goal of upholding human rights,” Hezekiah said

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Heat 2’s Michael Mann Gives Script and Casting Update, Will Start Right Where First Movie Ends
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Heat 2’s Michael Mann Gives Script and Casting Update, Will Start Right Where First Movie Ends

Senate Was Right To Suspend Ningi Over Budget Padding Claim – Moro
Forum | 1 month ago

Senate Was Right To Suspend Ningi Over Budget Padding Claim – Moro

You Don Lose All Respect I Get for You - Uche Maduagwu Slams Don Jazzy For Gushing On Yul And Judy
Forum | 1 month ago

You Don Lose All Respect I Get for You - Uche Maduagwu Slams Don Jazzy For Gushing On Yul And Judy

I Wanted To Be Sure I Was Marrying For The Right Reason And Not Because Of Societal Pressure - Actress, Rita Dominic (Video)
Forum | 1 month ago

I Wanted To Be Sure I Was Marrying For The Right Reason And Not Because Of Societal Pressure - Actress, Rita Dominic (Video)