Be upright, fearless, Lagos CJ tells new magistrates

Forum 11 months ago

Be upright, fearless, Lagos CJ tells new magistrates

The Chief Judge of Lagos State, Justice Kazeem Alogba, has urged the 18 newly-appointed magistrates in the state to raise the bar of justice, noting that they are joining the bench at a time “when the reputation of the judiciary in general is almost at its lowest ebb.”

The Chief Judge, who pointed out that the magistrates were appointed on merit and emerged through a competitive selection process, enjoined them to dispense justice with fairness.

Justice Alogba gave the charge during the swearing-in of the 18 magistrates on the premises of the Lagos State Judicial Service Commission, Ikeja.

He said, “The positions to which you have been appointed is highly competitive; but my joy is the fact that you have all come in on merit. I am very proud to say none of you who have been appointed today scored less than 70 per cent. The records are there.

“You’re coming in at a time when the reputation of the judiciary in general is almost at its lowest ebb and what that enjoins on you is that you must buckle down and ensure that that image is bettered or improved. And how do you do that? It is by ensuring that you deliver justice to all and sundry without fear or favour; without ill will or affection.”

Also speaking, the Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), warned the magistrates that “You are going to come under severe pressure from family, friends, acquintances and even people who don’t know you and that is where you must show the sterling qualities that earned you this appointment; you must not succumb to anything that is outside your oath of office.”

On her part, the Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Judicial Service Commission, Mrs Olubukola Salami, said the swearing-in of the 18 magistrates “symbolises a significant milestone and the profound commitment of this administration towards a qualitative judiciary and justice sector.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Pretty Mike Advises Those Who Entered The New Month With Bad Attitude
Forum | 1 hour ago

Pretty Mike Advises Those Who Entered The New Month With Bad Attitude

Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba admission forms, 2024/2025
Forum | 3 hours ago

Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba admission forms, 2024/2025

‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala
Forum | 4 hours ago

‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo
Forum | 4 hours ago

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo