Eddie Howe calls for safety improvements after fan attack at Leeds

Forum 11 months ago

Eddie Howe calls for safety improvements after fan attack at Leeds

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe has called for lessons to be learned after a Leeds United fan confronted him on the touchline at Elland Road.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/ad0f37ffc1ad4f7482326111787a2633.jpg

The Magpies had to settle for a 2-2 draw as Leeds came from behind to claim a point, but one of the main talking points after the match was how a fan almost assaulted Howe prior to the taking of a stoppage-time free kick.

The supporter was quickly led away by security staff as Newcastle's staff jumped to Howe's aid, and was subsequently arrested.

"It was a strange game, a lot of strange feelings,” Howe told his post-match press conference. "I can’t remember much about it, it is not something you expect.

"He said something to me I can’t repeat and then he was led away but moments like that make you think. The safety of staff is paramount and we need to be mindful of that and learn from it.

"Nobody should have to face that in the sport they love. Nobody should fear for their own safety.

"I don’t think I had time to be fearful it was over in a flash, but it makes you think, 'What if?'. No-one should have to face that, to feel your own personal safety violated. Security is paramount and moments like that will make people think and analyse and I hope safety is improved.

"I am glad someone was there as I wouldn’t have fancied my chances, I didn’t see the reaction [of everyone] – I was just concentrating on the game."

On the game itself, Howe was annoyed his side did not hang on for maximum points having taken a second half through Callum Wilson's brace of penalties.

"I am disappointed not to win, not long left in the match and it is still in our hands," the former Bournemouth boss said. “As time goes on we might think that is a good point, but not as we sit here. Coming here was always going to be difficult."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Babcock University Professor Killed, Two Abducted As Gunmen Attack Event Centre In Ogun
Forum | 7 hours ago

Babcock University Professor Killed, Two Abducted As Gunmen Attack Event Centre In Ogun

Shame On You Poor Little Israel – Fani-Kayode on Attack on Iran
Forum | 3 days ago

Shame On You Poor Little Israel – Fani-Kayode on Attack on Iran

Electricity Tariffs: RSM Calls On Nigerian Labour To Begin Mass Protests Against Tinubu Government
Forum | 4 days ago

Electricity Tariffs: RSM Calls On Nigerian Labour To Begin Mass Protests Against Tinubu Government

Mother Of Sound Engineer, Precious, Who Died Alongside Jnr Pope Calls On Gov Fubara
Forum | 4 days ago

Mother Of Sound Engineer, Precious, Who Died Alongside Jnr Pope Calls On Gov Fubara