EPL: Merson reveals ‘mistake’ Arteta made during Arsenal’s title run-in

Forum 1 year ago

EPL: Merson reveals ‘mistake’ Arteta made during Arsenal’s title run-in

Arsenal legend, Paul Merson has said current manager Mikel Arteta made a mistake by not starting Jorginho during their wobble in April, which could cost them the Premier League title.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/128812702d184e752a7c0a33423ce078.jpg

The Gunners’ title challenge began to unravel last month, as they dropped points against Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton and Manchester City.

Arsenal threw away 2-0 leads to draw 2-2 with Liverpool and West Ham, before scoring two late goals to draw 3-3 bottom-placed Southampton at the Emirates.

Arteta’s men were then thumped 4-1 at Manchester City, who have since overtaken them on the table.

Jorginho didn’t play against Liverpool and Southampton and was only brought on in second-half cameos against Southampton and Man City.

“Looking back, Jorginho should have started against Southampton.

“I know hindsight is crystal clear, but Jorginho was brought in for a reason, and I think he would have helped keep things tight, ensured Southampton didn’t score, and then created chances.

“I was shocked Fabio Vieira, who has not had a great season, played ahead of Jorginho, and Arsenal went on to draw the game,” Merson said on Sky Sports.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Agatha: Marvel Tweets and Deletes New Possible Title for WandaVision Spin-off
Forum | 11 mins ago

Agatha: Marvel Tweets and Deletes New Possible Title for WandaVision Spin-off

EPL: Neville, Keane blames one Man Utd player over Arsenal’s 1-0 win
Forum | 5 hours ago

EPL: Neville, Keane blames one Man Utd player over Arsenal’s 1-0 win

EPL: Don’t spend money – Owen Hargreaves advises Chelsea on two signings to make this summer
Forum | 5 hours ago

EPL: Don’t spend money – Owen Hargreaves advises Chelsea on two signings to make this summer

EPL: Thomas Partey ‘very lucky’ against Man United – Rooney
Forum | 5 hours ago

EPL: Thomas Partey ‘very lucky’ against Man United – Rooney