"Allow ads" and Popups to avoid redirection of your browsers.

EPL: I made my debut for Arsenal drunk, scored hat-trick – Pennant

Forum 1 year ago

EPL: I made my debut for Arsenal drunk, scored hat-trick – Pennant

Former Arsenal striker, Jermaine Pennant has opened up on his encounter with alcohol when he made his debut for the Gunners in 2003.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/66e6a7af37da765ae735268280cdeca1.jpg

The Englishman said he never expected to be called upon to play in the game against Southampton.

Pennant joined the Gunners for £2 million as a 15-year-old in 1999 and played his first game for Arsene Wenger’s side in 2003.

“I’d had like three hours of sleep and I’m stinking of alcohol. [Arsene] Wenger pulls the board down and reads out the team. He says my name. I double took and it definitely said Pennant. My heart sank to my stomach,” he said in his documentary Fever Pitch, Pennant.

At a point, the forward said he was contemplating faking a hamstring injury so as to get substituted from the game but the match ended up swinging in his favour.

“I scored one. I got another chance and I scored two. I scored another one and I’m thinking ‘Jesus Christ’,” he said.

That particular game ended 6-1 in favour of Arsene Wenger’s side with Pennant scoring three and providing the same number of assists.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Title won’t be decided on goal difference after Man City’s win at Tottenham
Forum | 15 hours ago

EPL: Title won’t be decided on goal difference after Man City’s win at Tottenham

EPL: Arteta will not give up – Guardiola speaks ahead Man City vs West Ham
Forum | 16 hours ago

EPL: Arteta will not give up – Guardiola speaks ahead Man City vs West Ham

EPL: Gary Neville picks one match that will decide title winners
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Gary Neville picks one match that will decide title winners

EPL: It’s difficult to win four titles, Mourinho, Wenger didn’t do it – Guardiola
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: It’s difficult to win four titles, Mourinho, Wenger didn’t do it – Guardiola