Gov Ugwuanyi charges corps members to be patriotic, shun disunity

Forum 11 months ago

Gov Ugwuanyi charges corps members to be patriotic, shun disunity

The governor of Enugu State, Rt. Hon Ifeanyi Ifeanyi has tasked the corps members and other members of the society to exhibit a patriotic spirit and shun any form of negative tendency inimical to peaceful co-existence and national unity.

Gov Ugwuanyi made this call on Friday during the swearing-in of the 2023 Batch ‘A’ stream of National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, Members deployed to Enugu State.

While reminding corps members that the NYSC call-up is a clarion call to national service, selfless service and personal sacrifice, Gov Ugwuanyi urged them to contribute immensely to the growth and development of the country.

“I am delighted to be with you today for the swearing-in of the 2023 Batch ‘A’ stream one National Youth Service Corps Members deployed to Enugu State. I welcome all the corps members to the State and also congratulate each and every one of you on the successful completion of your tertiary education in various institutions of learning.

“Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, the NYSC scheme was established to foster national development and unity. As a unifying programme, it aims to bring together young Nigerians of varying cultural and socio-ethnic backgrounds to promote the integrity of our nation, as one united, indivisible entity.

“Over the years, the objectives of the scheme have been vigorously and successfully implemented. Thousands of youths, mobilized under the scheme, have contributed immensely to the growth and development of our country. Besides promoting national unity and integration, the NYSC scheme has also become a viable tool for the implementation of critical national development programmes.

“At this critical time in our history when we are undergoing a very crucial transition to another government we will be depending on corps members and other members of the society to exhibit a patriotic spirit and shun any form of negative tendency inimical to peaceful co-existence and national unity.

“The NYSC call-up is a clarion call to national service, selfless service and personal sacrifice. You should therefore endeavour to continue in that spirit of rendering dedicated service to the nation, like other patriotic young Nigerians, who served before you. This is your opportunity to contribute your quota to the important task of nation-building,” he said.

Continuing, Ugwuanyi urged them to recall that orientation programme is designed to instil in them, the leadership qualities of perseverance, endurance, discipline and peaceful co-existence with fellow compatriots from different socio-cultural and religious backgrounds.

Earlier in a welcome address, the coordinator of NYSC, Enugu State, Barr Gladys Adama enjoined corps members to re-introduce the various qualities used to qualify for the NYSC call up, to one year National service.

She urged the corps members to pay special attention to the skills acquisition training which has been reinvigorated by the management of the Scheme to create opportunities, to help them acquire vocational skills during their service year to enable them contribute meaningfully to national development, become self dependent, have financial freedom and become job creators instead of a job seekers.

“It is my pleasure to welcome you all to NYSC orientation camp, Awgu, Enugu state as you commence another phase in your lives as members of the National Youth Service Corps with today’s Swearing in Ceremony. I am grateful to His Excellency the Executive Governor of Enugu state Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and our esteemed guests for honouring our invitation to attend this programme. Your presence here today is highly appreciated.

“It is my expectation that you will find the twelve month voyage quite fulfilling and exciting.

“Before proceeding, it is fitting to congratulate our corps members on the success they achieved during their various qualifying examinations which enabled them to be called up for service. The success no doubt was borne out of hard work, perseverance discipline and focus. It is my earnest expectation that they will bring these qualities to bear in the course of their service to the nation.

“My dear Corps members, the orientation course is a rare opportunity for self development and actualization, as well as contribution to national development on the platform of the NYSC scheme. As you join this vanguard in pursuit of a united, virile, egalitarian and economically prosperous nation, I charge you to approach this task with the highest degree of fervor, patriotism, service and humility – the motto of the service corps that has become a household name in the country.

“One major programme that has made the NYSC very relevant today is the Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) programme. I urge you to pay special attention to the skills acquisition training which has been reinvigorated by the management of the Scheme to create opportunities, for you to acquire vocational skills during the service year so as to enable you contribute meaningfully to national development, become self-dependent, have financial freedom and become job creators instead of a job seekers,” she said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved
Forum | 2 days ago

Police Confirms Killing Of Corps Member At Ogbomoso Nightclub, Detains Officers Involved

Family Members Of Bride-to-be Stop Kidnap Attempt, Kill Terrorist, Seize Two Ak-47 Rifles
Forum | 3 days ago

Family Members Of Bride-to-be Stop Kidnap Attempt, Kill Terrorist, Seize Two Ak-47 Rifles

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns
Forum | 3 days ago

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election
Forum | 3 days ago

Aggrieved Aspirants Petition APC, Demand Cancellation Of Ondo Gov Primary Election