Panic As Armed Herdsmen Storm Benue Community, Kill Soldier, 14 Others

Forum 11 months ago

Panic As Armed Herdsmen Storm Benue Community, Kill Soldier, 14 Others

Some armed herdsmen have reportedly caused serious chaos in a Benue community.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/d4c7922d0dcf5a2355c9878b571e7872.jpeg

They reportedly invaded Opaha Community in Edikwu Ward 2 of Apa Local Government Area of Benue State, killing 15 people including an army officer.

Several people were reported missing as the whole village was said to have been sacked.

Recall that the Igbobi community in the same Apa LGA was invaded by suspected armed herdsmen a few weeks ago, leaving five people killed and no fewer than 10,000 displaced and now taking refuge in Ugbokpo, the headquarters of the local government.

Also, at the weekend, suspected armed herders killed the Edikwun Council Ward Chairman of the Labour Party in the same LGA, Nathaniel Ochoche, was killed.

Opaha is the village of the House of Assembly Member representing Apa State Constituency, Abu Umoro, and the state Commissioner of Finance, David Olofu

A local, who spoke to The PUNCH correspondent on the phone but did not want his name in print due to the fear of reprisals, disclosed that the attack took place Tuesday evening.

“As I’m talking to you, we don’t know the location of many people because everyone ran away as the people launched an attack on the village between 4:pm and 5 pm yesterday,” the local said.

Confirming the incident to our correspondent on the phone, Olofu described the attack as ‘unprovoked’.

He said that 15 people were killed including an army officer.

Olofu said, “Yes, they just went to my community and killed people unprovoked, over 15 people were killed including the commander of OPWS in that area.

“This is a peaceful community where the people don’t look for anybody’s trouble. The attackers went to the community around 4pm and sacked the whole community.”

The Public Relations Officer of Operation Whirl Stroke, Flight Lt

Flogh Oquoh, who told our correspondent on the phone that he was not around said, “Commander has left for Apa today but I’m not in town I’m on pass.

When contacted on the phone, the spokesperson of the state Police Command, SP Catherine Anene, said she was yet to get the report.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Charlie Day and Allison Williams to Star in Murder Mystery Movie Kill Me
Forum | 1 hour ago

Charlie Day and Allison Williams to Star in Murder Mystery Movie Kill Me

Commotion As Bandits Strike Again, Kill Four, Abduct Six In Zamfara
Forum | 2 hours ago

Commotion As Bandits Strike Again, Kill Four, Abduct Six In Zamfara

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush
Forum | 2 hours ago

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush