Terminal operators slam additional N50,000 charge on imported cars

Forum 1 year ago

Terminal operators slam additional N50,000 charge on imported cars

The Ports and Terminal Multipurpose Limited has slammed an additional N50,000 per unit on a forklift.

In a notice sighted by our correspondent on Saturday, signed by the management of PTML, dated April 17, the additional charge will take effect from May 1, 2023.

The notice also explained that the charge was necessary to cover the huge cost involved to handle cars with a forklift.

“PTML would like to bring to the attention of its esteemed customers that with effect from May 1, 2023, all forklifted cars will be subject to an additional charge of N50,000 per unit. This charge is necessary to cover the high cost involved to handle the cars with a forklift from the vessel to the final delivery,” the notice read in part.

But reacting to this, the acting National President of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents, Mr Kayode Farinto, described the charge as illegal but assured that the group is addressing it.

“We are addressing it because it is an illegitimate charge. We will refer to it as a contract of affreightment. They shouldn’t think of it at all because it can’t fly and we won’t allow it.

“And let everyone know that gone are the days that anyone will slam illegal charges on the stakeholders, it is illegal,” he said.

Also speaking, the youth leader of ANLCA, TinCan chapter, Remilekun Saliu, said, “They stop loading forklift/non-running vehicles before but with the drop in importation, they place a notice that they will start loading forklift/non-running.

“They will still charge it locally here. Likewise, for the telex and pin release, they are charging us N25, 000 also. This nonsense must stop.”

An attempt to get the reaction of PTML was not fruitful as the General Manager of the terminal, Tunde Keshinro, didn’t pick up his calls or respond to a message sent to him as of the time of filing this report.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Three Notorious Car Snatchers Arrested In Delta, 12 Stolen Cars Recovered
Forum | 3 days ago

Three Notorious Car Snatchers Arrested In Delta, 12 Stolen Cars Recovered

I’m Still In Charge - Ganduje Reacts As Court Stops Suspension
Forum | 1 week ago

Forum | 1 week ago