Group demands INEC present results of past presidential elections

Forum 1 year ago

Group demands INEC present results of past presidential elections

A civil society group, GovIndex Leadership Empowerment and Development Foundation, has asked the Independent National Electoral Commission to provide the complete 2003, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2019 and 2023 presidential election results for the 774 local government areas in the country within 20 working days.

The group, in a letter to INEC dated March 30, 2023, and signed by its counsel, Mr Udoka Oguekwe, made the request under the Freedom of Information Act pursuant to Section 1(I), (2011).

The document was made available to journalists on Friday.

According to them, the request is in the public interest as it will contribute to public understanding and confidence in the activities of the government in general and the commission in particular.

It reads in part, “We request a waiver of all fees for this request as this information is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute to public understanding and confidence in the activities of the government in general and the commission in particular.

“If you deny this request, please cite each specific exemption under the law that justifies the refusal to release the information.

“We look forward to your reply within 20 work days.”

The request is coming less than one week after the group dragged a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, Musiliu Akinsanya (M.C Oluomo), Bayo Onanuga, Reno Omokri and Sam Omatseye to the Department of State Service over alleged hate speech capable of instigating violence against political opponents.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
How My Son Was Killed By Vigilante Group – Bauchi District Head Reveals
Forum | 3 days ago

How My Son Was Killed By Vigilante Group – Bauchi District Head Reveals

Top 10 Trending Movies of the Past Week : Week 15, 2024
Forum | 4 days ago

Top 10 Trending Movies of the Past Week : Week 15, 2024

Organised Labour Presents Fresh Proposal To FG, Demands ₦615,000 Minimum Wage
Forum | 4 days ago

Organised Labour Presents Fresh Proposal To FG, Demands ₦615,000 Minimum Wage