Erik Lamela discusses goading Anthony Martial into red card in 2020

Forum 1 year ago

Erik Lamela discusses goading Anthony Martial into red card in 2020

Former Tottenham winger Erik Lamela has discussed how and why he got Anthony Martial sent off for Manchester United during a Premier League game in 2020.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/af571745485ea69646045d1fd15d0095.jpg

Spurs famously won 6-1 at Old Trafford at the beginning of the 2020/21 season, with the visitors racing away after Martial received his marching orders.

Prior to a Tottenham corner with the score at 2-1, Lamela sought to wind up Martial, with the Frenchman brushing his face during a minor scuffle. The Argentine made the most of the contact and fell to the floor a couple of seconds after being brushed, which was enough to see Martial pick up a red card.

Lamela signed for Sevilla at the end of that season, and falling out of favour at United, Martial joined him on loan for the second half of the 2021/22 campaign, scoring once in 12 games for the Andalusian side.

Martial is now back at United and expected to feature in their UEFA Europa League quarter-final with Sevilla, with the first leg taking place at Old Trafford on Thursday.

Speaking to The Times, Lamela opened up on this confrontation with Martial and how they put it to one side once they became teammates.

"We got to know each other properly. The first thing I told Anthony when he arrived was that what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch," Lamela said.

"He was a good guy, he laughed about it and we got on well.

"It's part of football. I played for eight years for another team and I always wanted to beat them in any way possible. It's normal they [United fans] don't like me."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Anthony Martial to leave Man Utd as free agent
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Anthony Martial to leave Man Utd as free agent

Captain America: Brave New World Photos Preview Anthony Mackie, Harrison Ford in Marvel Movie
Forum | 6 days ago

Captain America: Brave New World Photos Preview Anthony Mackie, Harrison Ford in Marvel Movie

Mary: Anthony Hopkins Is Playing King Herod in New Biblical Epic, Details Revealed
Forum | 1 week ago

Mary: Anthony Hopkins Is Playing King Herod in New Biblical Epic, Details Revealed

Saudi Super Cup: He acted in front of referee – Al Nassr coach speaks on Ronaldo’s red card
Forum | 1 week ago

Saudi Super Cup: He acted in front of referee – Al Nassr coach speaks on Ronaldo’s red card