Frank Lampard hints at big role for Raheem Sterling at Chelsea

Forum 1 year ago

Frank Lampard hints at big role for Raheem Sterling at Chelsea

Chelsea caretaker manager Frank Lampard has hinted Raheem Sterling will be an important part of his plans at the club, having often used the England international as a ‘reference’ to other wingers he has worked with in all of his previous coaching roles.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/f699ecea5b0ab67d52e5865b09003690.jpg

Sterling joined Chelsea from Manchester City last summer for a fee close to £50m. But after 131 goals in 339 games and 10 major trophies for his former club, the 28-year-old has struggled to make an impact for a Chelsea side in transition.

At this stage of his debut season back in west London, where he first started out with QPR, Sterling has managed only seven goal involvements in 29 appearances across all competitions. Hamstring trouble that ruled him out of games in January and March also hasn’t helped, making his first Premier League start in over a month in Lampard’s first game back – a defeat to Wolves.

"I think he's a fantastic player. He's been one of the best wingers in the world for a long time, maybe in some people's opinion, the best,” the returning interim boss gushed.

“I can't remember how many times I've referenced to young wingers when I was here previously at Chelsea, at Derby and Everton actually - watch Raheem Sterling and see why he scores 20 goals a season plus so I have the highest feeling for him in that sense.

"I've spoken to him a little bit in the last couple of days [and] we also have to get the right team structure to make it best for the players and then drive them, and of course I’ve only been here a couple of days, to get the best out of them so I'll speak to Raheem more.

“I just think he's a top player. Those things are always kind of like 50/50 for me – getting the right structure for the player and then the player themselves but Raheem has shown what a player he is.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star
Forum | 4 days ago

FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge

Former Minister, Frank Nweke Jnr Reacts As EFCC Declares Yahaya Bello Wanted
Forum | 4 days ago

Former Minister, Frank Nweke Jnr Reacts As EFCC Declares Yahaya Bello Wanted

SPORT 2 hours ago FA Cup Semi-Final: Why Chelsea lost to Man City – Pochettino
Forum | 5 days ago

SPORT 2 hours ago FA Cup Semi-Final: Why Chelsea lost to Man City – Pochettino