Harry Maguire issues defiant message over Man Utd performance levels

Forum 1 year ago

Harry Maguire issues defiant message over Man Utd performance levels

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire insists he has done himself ‘justice’ with his performances this season, but is adamant that he won’t be satisfied until he plays every game.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/47e56594356816b327e1215b6519dc11.jpg

From being one of the first names on the teamsheet under former manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Maguire has unceremoniously tumbled down the pecking order at Old Trafford this season – Erik ten Hag has preferred a Lisandro Martinez-Raphael Varane partnership and will also often turn to Victor Lindelof from the bench if he wants an extra layer of defensive protection.

Maguire was dropped in the wake of the humiliating 4-0 defeat to Brentford back in August and hasn’t started consecutive Premier League games since.

“This year I feel I am in a good place mentally, physically and every time I've started a game of football I've done myself justice and done well,” he said after playing all 90 minutes of the 2-0 win against Everton over the weekend.

“I'm not going to stand here and say I love it, or that I like it. I don't,” he said of his situation this season. “I want to play every game and I have done for the last eight years of my career. Also, I have to respect the manager and his decisions and also respect how good the competition is at centre-back at this club. It is, and I believe that.”

Having lifted the Carabao Cup already this season, Maguire still has his eyes on two more as United target the FA Cup and Europa League. He also predicts ‘numerous starts’ in what remains of 2022/23.

“I will work as hard as I can in training and take every game as it comes as I'm sure I'm going to get numerous starts between now and the end of the season,” he said.

“It is not like I've not started. I've started the last two games before the international break against Fulham and Betis. It is not like I've been frozen out or not been involved. I'm still playing a lot of games but obviously as a footballer I want to play every game. But I'm sure every other centre-back in the dressing room does as well and the manager cannot play all four.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: SuperComputer predicts title winners after Arsenal, Man City victories
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: SuperComputer predicts title winners after Arsenal, Man City victories

Cristiano Ronaldo’s mother, Dolores sends message to Al Nassr as son bags hat-trick
Forum | 1 day ago

Cristiano Ronaldo’s mother, Dolores sends message to Al Nassr as son bags hat-trick

EPL: Micah Richards mentions game where Man City could drop points
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Micah Richards mentions game where Man City could drop points

EPL: We helped them – Wolves manager O’Neil speaks on 5-1 defeat to Man City
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: We helped them – Wolves manager O’Neil speaks on 5-1 defeat to Man City