Land disputes, debt recovery not your job, Arase tells police

Forum 1 year ago

Land disputes, debt recovery not your job, Arase tells police

The Chairman, Police Service Commission, Solomon Arase, has asked policemen not to get involved in land disputes and debt recovery. He said they should leave such matters for Alternative Dispute Resolution centres to handle such issues.

He also vowed that the commission would punish any police officer involved in any form of misconduct and abuse of people’s rights.

According to a statement on Friday by the Head, Press and Public Relations, PSC, Ikechukwu Ani, Arase made the revelation when he received the national leadership of the Police Community Relations Committee where he pledged to work in partnership with the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, to rejig the police for better performance.

The statement said, “Arase noted that for the NPF to excel in its day-to-day operations, there must be consequences for misconduct and benefits for exemplary behaviour. The chairman said benefits and burden must go together, stressing that he will strive to complement what the police are currently doing to ensure that the operations of the police must conform with its rules of engagement.

“He also noted that the police have no reason to get involved in land disputes or debt collection, and other such issues that should be handled through alternative dispute resolution means. He promised to remain a strong advocate for community partnership in policing.”

The National Chairman of the PCRC, Mogaji Olaniya, applauded Arase’s appointment, saying, “You are the best for the job.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala
Forum | 2 days ago

‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: They’re quality players – Gallas tells Chelsea to sign Man Utd duo

Landman Cast: Andy Garcia Nabs Key Role in Paramount+ Series From Yellowstone Creator
Forum | 2 days ago

Landman Cast: Andy Garcia Nabs Key Role in Paramount+ Series From Yellowstone Creator

Runtown Left My Label With $1.5m Debt – Dilly Umeniyora
Forum | 3 days ago

Runtown Left My Label With $1.5m Debt – Dilly Umeniyora