Benue gov-elect visits Buhari, vows to improve workers’ welfare

Forum 1 year ago

Benue gov-elect visits Buhari, vows to improve workers’ welfare

The Benue State Governor-elect, Hyacinth Alia, on Wednesday, in Abuja, said the state’s civil service is nearing collapse and needing urgent attention akin to that of an Intensive Care Unit.

However, he said his administration would restore life to the system and make it productive again.

Alia spoke with State House Correspondents after a thank-you visit to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.

He was ushered in to see the President by the Minister of Special Duties, George Akume, who is also a former governor of Benue State.

The Roman Catholic priest- turned-politician said, “It is sad that the life of civil service in the state is near collapse, it’s in the ICU, so I just need to get in there and infuse life in it and keep it moving.

“We have a backlog of unpaid salaries, pensions and gratuities.

“So, already I have got much on the desk to keep a good focus on and I remain hopeful that I am going to do just that,” he said.

Alia lamented that the agrarian state was performing far below its capacity to feed the entire nation. He said his administration would boost agricultural productivity across the entire value chain.

“Once I’m sworn in, I know that what the good people of Benue want is progress and development and there’s so much that we need to put on track for things to work.

“Benue State is an agrarian zone and so we must focus on agriculture and upgrade it,” he said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Two Killed As Armed Herdsmen Attack Benue Community
Forum | 1 day ago

Two Killed As Armed Herdsmen Attack Benue Community

Governor Aiyedatiwa’s Campaign Coordinator Assassinated
Forum | 2 days ago

Governor Aiyedatiwa’s Campaign Coordinator Assassinated

Lagos Workers Now Earn Minimum Of N70,000 Since January – Governor Sanwo-Olu Says
Forum | 5 days ago

Lagos Workers Now Earn Minimum Of N70,000 Since January – Governor Sanwo-Olu Says

rri Pikin Celebrates RMD As He Visits Her Family
Forum | 5 days ago

rri Pikin Celebrates RMD As He Visits Her Family