I’m sad to leave Nigeria, outgoing British envoy tells Buhari

Forum 1 year ago

I’m sad to leave Nigeria, outgoing British envoy tells Buhari

The outgoing British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Catriona Laing, has said she is sad to leave the country having spent “a fabulous time” engaging with its music, dance and culture.

However, Laing said she will be back to the country after serving as Britain’s envoy to the country for four and half years.

“I’m sad to be leaving. Nigeria is so much fun, I had a fabulous time here, and I’ll be back. I love the dance, the music, the culture,” she told the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), during a farewell visit to him at the State House in Abuja, on Wednesday.

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, disclosed this in a statement he signed on Wednesday titled ‘I had a fabulous time here, says British high commissioner in farewell visit to President Buhari.’

Laing said, “It’s been good to experience Nigeria. I’ve been to over 20 states, and I’ve told my successor to also do the same. I’ll be back, and still travel wider.”

She congratulated Buhari for a successful eight years in office, saying he had done very well to hold the country together.

On his part, the President said the United Kingdom was second home for many Nigerians and relations between the two countries would continue to wax strong.

“In fact, some wealthy Nigerians don’t feel complete till they’ve had a home in the UK,” he added.

Buhari said he looked forward to retirement in Daura, Katsina State, after handing over on May 29, reiterating, “I’ll be as far away from Abuja as possible.”

He lauded UK for cooperation on many fronts, particularly in the rebuilding of the North East, hitherto ravaged by insurgency.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nigerian Woman Overjoyed After Giving Birth to Twins at 56
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerian Woman Overjoyed After Giving Birth to Twins at 56

EPL: Football expert names players likely to leave Liverpool with Klopp
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Football expert names players likely to leave Liverpool with Klopp

Nigerian Man, His Wife And 11 Others Arrested In Vietnam For Alleged Money Laundering
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Man, His Wife And 11 Others Arrested In Vietnam For Alleged Money Laundering

Follow AGF’s Advice, Submit To EFCC – Group Tells Yahaya Bello
Forum | 4 days ago

Follow AGF’s Advice, Submit To EFCC – Group Tells Yahaya Bello