Robert Lewandowski reveals he wanted to join Man Utd

Forum 1 year ago

Robert Lewandowski reveals he wanted to join Man Utd

Robert Lewandowski has revealed he was keen to join Manchester United earlier in his career when he received a phone call direct from legendary Old Trafford Sir Alex Ferguson, only for Borussia Dortmund and Jurgen Klopp to block a potential move.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/714773dd58df62784c29781fdd6bce79.jpg

Lewandowski had started rising through the Polish lower leagues from the age of 16, landing with top flight Lech Poznan in 2008 and scored 41 times in 82 appearances across all competitions.

That paved the way for a move to Germany and Borussia Dortmund, with the young striker a regular in Klopp’s side that won the 2010/11 Bundesliga title.

Although Lewandowski wasn’t a prolific goalscorer at that stage of his career like he has since become, it appears that Fergie and United quickly saw his enormous potential.

It was during Dortmund’s pre-season and he was 22 at the time, which places it around July 2011, when United were in need of a fresh injection up front and would sign Robin van Persie to spearhead their next Premier League title charge the following year.

“I remember the moment exactly,” Lewandowski has now recalled in an interview with Sport Bild.

“We had a friendly with Dortmund in preparation, I think against Bochum. I was subbed at half-time. I looked at my mobile phone in the dressing room. There was a text message with the sender +44. Ferguson had tried to call me and then sent me a message. He wanted to talk to me.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: SuperComputer predicts title winners after Arsenal, Man City victories
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: SuperComputer predicts title winners after Arsenal, Man City victories

EPL: Micah Richards mentions game where Man City could drop points
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Micah Richards mentions game where Man City could drop points

EPL: We helped them – Wolves manager O’Neil speaks on 5-1 defeat to Man City
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: We helped them – Wolves manager O’Neil speaks on 5-1 defeat to Man City