John Terry makes honest admission over Chelsea coaching plans

Forum 1 year ago

John Terry makes honest admission over Chelsea coaching plans

John Terry has confessed that he is 'done' trying to become a manager, although he would come out of 'retirement' if Chelsea came calling.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/5af6f2669f02389f6d54c209109ffd5a.jpg

A legendary defender during his playing days, Terry spent 22 years on the books at Stamford Bridge before ending his career with Aston Villa, where he took up an assistant manager role under former boss Dean Smith.

Terry left that role in July 2021 and has since joined Chelsea's academy setup, but he has not had a senior coaching role.

Speaking on Stephen Hendry's Cue Tips, Terry admitted that he no longer has the desire to make a managerial career of his own, but Chelsea would be able to convince him to return to senior football as either a manger or a coach.

"I'm done from a managerial perspective... the only job I'd come out of 'retirement' for would be the Chelsea job, or some capacity in a first-team role," he said.

"I love my role at the minute. I've got a bit of work where I'm working with the younger players. Because I've been through that process as a kid myself, I'm passing on loads of knowledge to them, I'm having conversations, which I love.

"But I enjoy my golf as well, I want to play a bit of golf and have a bit of family time as well. The reason I left Villa, which I've not really said anywhere, was a family reason. I had to come back home and be with family. I loved my time at Villa, Dean Smith was great for me.

"I always see myself as a coach long-term. I enjoy the coaching side of it, but I have to say there were better coaches than me. I went for a couple of jobs when I left, didn't get those jobs, got a little bit deflated. I've just decided against [management]."

Chelsea are on the lookout for a new first-team manager following the dismissal of Graham Potter on Tuesday, with former Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann - who cites Terry as one of his role models - an early candidate for the role.

There may also soon be a vacancy in the coaching staff as Anthony Barry edges closer to a reunion with Thomas Tuchel at Bayern Munich.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
CONAMKAT ND Nursing Sciences Admission 2024/2025 academic session
Forum | 24 mins ago

CONAMKAT ND Nursing Sciences Admission 2024/2025 academic session

EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa
Forum | 20 hours ago

EPL: They’ll be too good – Chris Sutton predicts Chelsea vs Aston Villa

UNILORIN extends postgraduate admission deadline until further notice, 2023/2024
Forum | 21 hours ago

UNILORIN extends postgraduate admission deadline until further notice, 2023/2024

John Krasinski’s IF Box Office Tracking Numbers Predict Strong Opening
Forum | 1 day ago

John Krasinski’s IF Box Office Tracking Numbers Predict Strong Opening