Don’t Celebrate Ayu’s Removal Yet – Dino Melaye Tells Wike, G-5 Governors

Forum 1 year ago

Don’t Celebrate Ayu’s Removal Yet – Dino Melaye Tells Wike, G-5 Governors

Former Kogi West Senator, Dino Melaye has called out Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State and his allies for celebrating the removal of the embattled National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Iyorchia Ayu.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/cd85271ba9cf61259c3b396f3dfd02fd.jpg

Ayu was suspended on Sunday over alleged anti-party activities and for failing to pay his membership dues by the Igorov ward executive committee in the Gboko Local Government Area of Benue State.

Following the suspension, the Benue State High Court restrained Ayu from parading himself as the chairman of the party and granted the prayer of a PDP member, Conrad Utaan.

The development saw Ayu step aside pending the ruling of the court and the Deputy National Chairman, (North), Umar Damagum, assumed the position as the acting national chairman.

Reacting, Wike advised Ayu to come to terms with the reality that his calamitous reign has come to an end, dismissing his claim that only the National Executive Council (NEC) could suspend him.

In a chat with The Punch on Tuesday, Melaye reminded Wike and the G5 Governors that Ayu did not resign from office but only stepped aside in obedience to a court order.

He argued that the decision of the former Senate President to obey the court order was a testament to the party’s belief in the supremacy of the law.

Melaye added that Ayu reserved the right to seek legal redress, and will definitely fight his suspension from office at the appellate court.

He said, “Ayu has the right to seek legal redress and I am sure that is an option he would explore. Ayu did not resign; he only stepped aside. He will bounce back and for the G-5 governors, we tell them not to rejoice yet because the music has just started.

“This is no celebration time for them. By this move, the party and the chairman have both demonstrated that they are law-abiding. Whether the ex parte order was well procured, purchased, or induced, Ayu decided to obey it as a law-abiding citizen. There is no point in taking the laws into our hands.’’

“While this crisis lasted, Governor Wike kept repeating that he and his group wanted the chairmanship of the party to go to the South but in compliance with the constitution of the party, the position has remained in the North. Now, has this helped their cause?”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Don’t Stop EFCC From Performing Its Duty - AGF Warns Politicians
Forum | 21 hours ago

Don’t Stop EFCC From Performing Its Duty - AGF Warns Politicians

Submit Yourself For Probe - FG Tells Ex-Kogi Gov Yahaya Bello
Forum | 1 day ago

Submit Yourself For Probe - FG Tells Ex-Kogi Gov Yahaya Bello

Ugochinyere Slams PDP Governors, Leaders For Allowing Wike to Attend Caucus Meeting
Forum | 1 day ago

Ugochinyere Slams PDP Governors, Leaders For Allowing Wike to Attend Caucus Meeting

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)
Forum | 2 days ago

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)