Xavi reveals Barcelona's reaction to Clasico victory & La Liga title race

Forum 1 year ago

Xavi reveals Barcelona's reaction to Clasico victory & La Liga title race

Xavi has confessed that Barcelona 'do not feel like champions' despite their huge 2-1 victory over Real Madrid on Sunday.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/a6a037d323bdb81caab386d2a96cf474.jpg

A stoppage time winner from Franck Kessie saw Barcelona move 12 points clear of their closest rivals in the La Liga title race, and given they have not dropped that many points this season so far, it seems as though the trophy could be heading back to Camp Nou.

For Xavi, however, the race is not over until Barcelona cannot be caught mathematically, and he made a point of sending that message to his team after the game.

"No [congratulations] because there are 12 games left," Xavi said.

"It's a very important victory in a Clasico, it's deserved, we were the better team, dominating, generating clearer chances. I'm leaving very satisfied. The team gave everything. It's a very important victory for us. It gives us morale and confidence, because we were very good.

"It's not definitive. We don't feel like champions. It's a step forward and I'm very happy for the players. There's an extraordinary atmosphere. They're having an extraordinary season. They're players who suffer and I'm very proud of how they play, how life is going for them.

"In the dressing room, there is joy and satisfaction. Last year, we were 12 points behind. We have taken 15 points from Real Madrid since October. It is time to assess things. For now, we have only won the Super Cup. This league is the only extra thing that we can lose. We can't relax, there's still a lot of league left.

"I don't have the feeling that we are champions, but I understand why people are singing it. I understand the fans. It's given goosebumps. A perfect script. I'm so proud."

Barcelona may have navigated past their fiercest rivals but they do still have a number of tricky fixtures between now and the end of the season.

Atletico Madrid, Real Sociedad and Real Betis - currently third, fourth and fifth in La Liga - are all due at Camp Nou before the end of the campaign, while only five of Real Madrid's remaining 12 opponents are currently in the top half of the table.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
SPORT 4 hours ago Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 5 hours ago

SPORT 4 hours ago Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka

SPORT 3 hours ago EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race
Forum | 5 hours ago

SPORT 3 hours ago EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race

That ’90s Show: Mila Kunis Reveals if She and Ashton Kutcher Are Returning for Season 2
Forum | 17 hours ago

That ’90s Show: Mila Kunis Reveals if She and Ashton Kutcher Are Returning for Season 2

Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Reveals Emma Corrin’s Villain Cassandra Nova
Forum | 21 hours ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Reveals Emma Corrin’s Villain Cassandra Nova