Presidential election: Nigeria’s politics fascinating with bright future – UK

Forum 1 year ago

Presidential election: Nigeria’s politics fascinating with bright future – UK

ABUJA-THE outgoing British High Commissioner in Nigeria, Catriona Laing has described Nigeria’s politics as fascinating, with a bright future.

The British envoy stated this while speaking with journalists at the Senate wing of the National Assembly after a courtesy visit on the President of the Senate, Senator Ahmad Lawan in Abuja on Tuesday.

Laing said though there were set backs in the Saturday February, 25th Presidential and National Assembly election, but in over all, it was a positive process, saying that Nigeria should be proud, but with a remarkable difference compared to when she came in 2019.

Amid litigations trailing the conduct of the Presidential and National Assembly elections, conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission ( INEC) on February 25, 2023 , the envoy has described the election as fascinating as it offered future assurances for democratic governance in the country.

She said that despite contestation on the process of the election by some political actors , it was fascinating and portend bright future for the country.

The envoy said, “I made very good friends I love Nigerian music alot the culture here is so rich secondly the politics in Nigeria is so fascinating.

“I was here till the last election and I finished with this election and I’m impressed with Nigeria’s democratic journey.

“Yes a bit set backs.but in over all, I see this as positive and Nigeria should be proud, but with a remarkable difference when I came in 2019.

“Nigeria is the biggest democracy in Africa. The world watches your progress to democracy.

“Though there were some disappointments in the last election but overall, every Nigerian should be proud because since 1999 Nigeria has been on the right track as far as participatory democracy is concerned.

“The election here, is very different and fascinating as you are moving to three party system or may be even four. I think Nigerians as well should realise that their votes count”, she said.

Aside election, the British Envoy who hailed Nigerians for being resilient at all times of difficulties, said, “There had been some tough times. We had COVID-19, insecurity has got lot more since I was here. Nigerian people are incredibly resilient. I remain very optimistic to Nigeria’s future. So it’s been very wonderful tour and very sad to be going.”

Earlier in his remarks, the President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan who commended the British envoy on her positive disposition to the country, however tasked her to help in strengthening bilateral relations between Nigeria and Britain .

Lawan said, “Nigeria and Britain have come a long way very cordial and diplomatic relations over the years , the tradition we believe , high rated diplomat like you can help to foster and strengthen.”

He wished her all the best in her future endeavours.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nigerians Don’t Deserve Me – Rapper, Vic O Says As He Quits Music
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerians Don’t Deserve Me – Rapper, Vic O Says As He Quits Music

Nigerian Govt Places Ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello on Watchlist
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Govt Places Ex-Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello on Watchlist

Peter Obi Is Not Mixing Politics With Religion, Says Media Aide
Forum | 3 days ago

Peter Obi Is Not Mixing Politics With Religion, Says Media Aide

Nigerian Army Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Neutralize Notorious Terrorist In Taraba
Forum | 3 days ago

Nigerian Army Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Neutralize Notorious Terrorist In Taraba