Gary Lineker to return to Match of the Day after BBC agreement

Forum 1 year ago

Gary Lineker to return to Match of the Day after BBC agreement

The BBC have confirmed that Gary Lineker will be back hosting Match of the Day this weekend after the two parties reached an agreement over social media use.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/808b28dd23842f5613ab3aacf15f8bc0.jpg

Lineker was removed from his position after posting a tweet in which he compared the Government's language concerning asylum seekers to that used during 1930s Germany.

The decision sparked significant criticism of the BBC, with fellow pundits all refusing to take part in the BBC's weekly football programming in support of Lineker, but the situation has now been resolved and the former England international will be back in front of the cameras again.

“Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend," director Tim Davie stated.

Davie also confirmed that an independent review of the BBC's social media guidelines has been authorised and that Lineker has agreed to 'abide by the guidance whilst the independent review takes place'.

Lineker himself ended his social media silence to thank fans for their support.

"After a surreal few days, I’m delighted that we have navigated a way through this. I want to thank you all for the incredible support, particularly my colleagues at BBC Sport, for the remarkable show of solidarity. Football is a team game but their backing was overwhelming," he wrote.

"I have been presenting sport on the BBC for almost 3 decades and am immeasurably proud to work with the best and fairest broadcaster in the world. I cannot wait to get back in the MOTD chair on Saturday.

"A final thought: however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn’t compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It’s heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.

"We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Velma Season 2 Trailer Previews Return of Mindy Kaling’s Animated Scooby-Doo Series
Forum | 3 days ago

Velma Season 2 Trailer Previews Return of Mindy Kaling’s Animated Scooby-Doo Series

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series
Forum | 3 days ago

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa

Before 4: Ethan Hawke Would ‘Definitely’ Return If Richard Linklater Wrote New Sequel
Forum | 5 days ago

Before 4: Ethan Hawke Would ‘Definitely’ Return If Richard Linklater Wrote New Sequel