Photo: Cultists Set Buildings On Fire In Akoka

Forum 8 years ago

Photo: Cultists Set Buildings On Fire In Akoka

No fewer than 25 persons have been rendered homeless after suspected cultists invaded two buildings on Sholanke Street in the Akoka, Yaba area of Lagos State and set fire to them.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the hoodlums, who came at about 7.30am on Wednesday, did not allow their victims to take any property from the buildings.

It was learnt that rival cultists had clashed on Ibukunolu Street on Tuesday at about 7pm, and had stabbed a 17-year-old student, identified only as Rilwan, to death.

Two of the attackers were said to be identified as Lolade, also known as Makayoko , and Ororo .

Our correspondent learnt that the victim, who worked as a printer on the street, was from a family of three, and had just gained admission to the Yaba College of Technology.

PUNCH Metro gathered that angry rival cultists had thereafter stormed Sholanke Street in the night, and threatened that they would raze Makayoko ’s father’s apartment as a reprisal for the killing of Rilwan.

It was learnt that some residents alerted the policemen from the Bariga division to the unrest and the police came on patrol during the night.

Our correspondent gathered that the cultists, however, stormed the street at about 7am on Wednesday, locked the street gates and set fire to Makayoko ’s father’s house.

The landlord of the building was identified simply as Oyedele.

When PUNCH Metro arrived at about 9.30am, there were people in front of the buildings trying to salvage property from the fire.

Our correspondent observed two police vans from the Bariga division patrolling the street, and two fire service trucks driving out.

One of the occupants of the building, a father of five, Abu Abdullahi, said the hoodlums did not allow the firefighters to enter the area as they had locked the two gates.

He said, “The hoodlums came around 7.30am. The anger of the cultists was that one boy was killed on the neighbouring street. We later heard that our landlord’s son was seen where the boy was killed.

“The police came last night on a patrol in a van, but they left in the morning. Around 7am, we noticed a tall guy standing in front of the house and making calls. In a few minutes, the hoodlums stormed the buildings and set them on fire.

“We began to run out with the property we could carry. I have five children. Only the last born of my children stays with me. I was working with the University of Lagos before I retired. The police were aware of yesterday’s killing, and they should have strengthened security in the area.

“We also called the firefighters. It was later that we learnt that they were around for 15 minutes after we called, but the hoodlums did not allow them to enter.”

Another occupant, Stephen Okisor, said he could not pick any property from the fire.

He said, “We are about four families in the first building. The Boys Quarters houses about three families. I could not pick any item from the fire, except this clothes I am wearing.”

A resident, who identified himself simply as Micah, said the policemen did not come promptly to arrest the hoodlums.

He said, “It was around 8am that I noticed the fire. When the firefighters came, they were barred by the hoodlums from coming into the street. Twenty minutes after, the police arrived in the area, but everything had died down.”

Our correspondent noticed the Rapid Response Squad car driving into the area at about 11am when most of the crowds had dispersed.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the police in Bariga had yet to arrest any of the suspected cultists.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Joe Offor, said he was at a meeting and he would get back to our correspondent on the matter.

He, however, had yet to get back as of press time.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
The Bride Set Image Gives Us a Good Look at Christian Bale and Jessie Buckley in Costume
Forum | 1 day ago

The Bride Set Image Gives Us a Good Look at Christian Bale and Jessie Buckley in Costume

The Boys in the Boat Blu-ray Release Date Set for George Clooney Movie
Forum | 1 day ago

The Boys in the Boat Blu-ray Release Date Set for George Clooney Movie

Amazon: Claims Dwayne Johnson Was 8 Hours Late To Red One Set Are ‘False’
Forum | 2 days ago

Amazon: Claims Dwayne Johnson Was 8 Hours Late To Red One Set Are ‘False’

Edo Police Arrest Cultists Who Allegedly Killed Man In Daughter’s Presence
Forum | 3 days ago

Edo Police Arrest Cultists Who Allegedly Killed Man In Daughter’s Presence