Barcelona confirm position on Xavi contract extension

Forum 1 year ago

Barcelona confirm position on Xavi contract extension

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has made clear the club's position over a potential contract renewal for head coach Xavi.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e66d3e88a8e53b9f611689bcd9ff2193.jpg

The legendary former midfielder has guided Barca to a nine-point lead over bitter rivals Real Madrid at the top of La Liga, winning 20 of the 24 games played so far this season.

Xavi hasn't been able to repeat that success on the European stage, though, with Barcelona dumped out of the Champions League at the group stage by Bayern Munich and Inter, before losing to Manchester United in a two-legged Europa League knockout play-off round tie.

Nevertheless, the Spaniard's impact at Camp Nou has been clear to see, with a defined style of play and relative calm settling down what's been a tricky couple of years in Catalonia.

Xavi's existing contract as Barcelona boss is due to expire next summer, but president Laporta has suggested that an extension has already been considered - and will be offered - by the club.

"I have already thought about a renewal," Laporta admitted. "I think we should renew him because he has earned it. He knows the house. He knows Barca. He doesn't ask us for crazy things [as per transfers]. He perfectly understands the situation of the club."

Xavi has overseen the arrivals of Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha and Jules Kounde among others, but is committed to strengthening Barcelona's squad further as they bid to return their former glory.

On potential new signings, Laporta added: "A central defender, it depends. We will try as far as we can to make signings. A striker, surely yes. Someone will have to leave. In midfield, I think we have a great one and I don't think it's necessary [to bring in new players].

He also concluded that Barça "will surely sign a full-back" before next season but reiterated that Xavi must make use of the famed La Masia academy by adding "we have an academy that for sure provides players for the first team."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Fed Poly Ilaro approval for extension of school fees payment for ND2, PT2 & HND2, 2023/2024
Forum | 8 hours ago

Fed Poly Ilaro approval for extension of school fees payment for ND2, PT2 & HND2, 2023/2024

FG To Abuja-Lokoja-Benin Road Contractors: Sign Contract In Two Days Or Forfeit Job
Forum | 1 day ago

FG To Abuja-Lokoja-Benin Road Contractors: Sign Contract In Two Days Or Forfeit Job

NOUN notice on extension of courses and examination registration for 2024_1 semester
Forum | 2 days ago

NOUN notice on extension of courses and examination registration for 2024_1 semester

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 3 days ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka