Real Madrid handed late fitness boost after unwell player returns to squad to face Liverpool

Forum 1 year ago

Real Madrid handed late fitness boost after unwell player returns to squad to face Liverpool

Real Madrid have confirmed that midfielder Toni Kroos has joined up with the squad late on and is eligible to face Liverpool in the Champions League on Tuesday evening.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/da41a49c34712ce640a11155ded24c74.jpg

Kroos had been dealing with an illness which initially saw him ruled out of the game alongside fellow unwell midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni, but Real have now confirmed the German veteran has made a timely recovery.

"Toni Kroos has joined Real Madrid's squad for tonight's match against Liverpool, corresponding to the first leg of the Champions League round of 16," a club statement read.

"The German joins the list of players available by Carlo Ancelotti for the match at Anfield."

Just how fit Kroos is remains to be seen, with the German unlikely to start the game after missing the past two matches with a stomach problem.

Instead, Ancelotti is expected to hand starts to Luka Modric, Eduardo Camavinga and the resurgent Dani Ceballos, but Kroos' presence on the bench will provide a massive boost to a Real side who would be short in midfield without him.

18-year-old Mario Martin has been called up to the squad to boost depth, while 21-year-old emerging star Sergio Arribas also remains part of Ancelotti's setup.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: ‘I don’t write it off’ – Klopp on Liverpool winning title
Forum | 20 mins ago

EPL: ‘I don’t write it off’ – Klopp on Liverpool winning title

EPL: Liverpool to replace Klopp with ‘most expensive Dutch manager’
Forum | 25 mins ago

EPL: Liverpool to replace Klopp with ‘most expensive Dutch manager’

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler
Forum | 31 mins ago

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler