Economy palaver: Hosts now serve garri, fish at Owambes

Forum 1 year ago

Economy palaver: Hosts now serve garri, fish at Owambes

Some options chosen by Nigerians in their lifestyle, due to increases in prices of goods and services, have continued to bewilder many.

These lifestyle alternatives have also found their way into Owambe’s (a nickname for parties, especially those with plenty of food and drinks).

In Nigeria, hosts at Owambes usually see to satisfying their guests with varieties of food like semo, beans, plantain, rice, Amala, among others.

But the continuous increase in the prices of goods and services has depleted this tradition, as hosts now serve garri and fried fish at parties.

Garri (cassava flakes) were meals not present at Owambes, but is converted to eba, which is consumed with ewedu and sauce, or vegetable or egusi soups at Owambes, where the majority of the guests are from the Western part of the country.

However, eba has long left the queues of meals served at Owambes.

Garri and fish take over at Owambes

Mrs Kehinde Salami, a businesswoman, told Economy and Lifestyle that such food had to be added to the menu because of the economic situation.

She identified other foods, apart from rice, which was recently added to food menu in parties and projected further changes in Owambe menus.

“Garri and fish will be served in parties in such perilous times. Even the garri, which was once consumed by poor people, is now cherished by the rich. The price of one paint rubber of white garri is now N900, compared to N200 it was sold years back.

“Even served with groundnut, guests will eat it. Some people do come to parties for food.

“The economy is not friendly to anyone and not all persons that come to a party dressed up are well-to-do.”

Partygoers embrace delicacy

Mr. Rotimi Hassan, a chef said: “It was a funny view when I followed a friend to such a party and saw people drinking garri and fried fish.

“Some were served jollof rice. This was a naming ceremony.

“The thing is that many people are now dropping these fancy meals and opting for local meals which are affordable in parties.

“Those days when meals are used as criteria to define a well-planned Owambe are gone.

“We are in the period of managing resources, including money, else when you cook varieties of food in parties, hoping that some persons will support you with gifts of money (such as spraying money on the celebrant on the dance floor during the party) you might be disappointed.”

Appetisers disappear from menu

Mrs Medeyomi Mautin, a cook, said that even those small chops and chinchin used as appetisers in parties has also disappeared due to the high costs of flour.

She noted that Owambe meal menus, which usually consists of six to 10 dishes, now barely holds four and that some Owambes don’t even see the need for menus.

“I have been cooking in parties for long. Some of the meals are prepared on the spot at the parties. Such meals are amala (yam flour) and appetizers such as puff-puff, spring rolls, chinchin, and small chops, among others. While some, such as asun (fried meat and pomo (cow skin) smudged with pepper), pepper soup, and others are prepared outside the party venue.

“But the costs of flour, meat, and other ingredients had made most clients opt for one or abandon all.

“Owambe food menus are not also left out. These menus contain up to 10 varieties of food. But barely contain four now.

“Some hosts even choose rice and salad, some just semo and vegetable soup, others chicken pie or meat pie and the latest is garri and fried fish.

“Despite all these changes, guests consume these foods with love and try to enjoy themselves to the fullest.”

Ewa-agoyin takes prime position

Mrs. Grace Akintayo , a plastic ware seller, said she has served ewa agoyin (mashed beans with palm oil sauce) and garri at her father’s burial in Badagry.

“When I did my father’s funeral at Badagry in January, ewa agoyin and garri was among the foods served.

“I thought people won’t like it because a friend of mine who has eaten garri and fish in a recent party prescribed the meal when I complained about the cost of preparing semo, tuwo and soup, and jollof rice.

“To my surprise, many guest ate it because they preferred it to rice.

“It also helped me save the cost of cooking tuwo and semo with soups which was one of my father’s people favourite delicacy.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Governor Sani Hosts Dinner Banquet for Released Kuriga Schoolchildren
Forum | 1 month ago

Governor Sani Hosts Dinner Banquet for Released Kuriga Schoolchildren

Why I Almost Committed Suicide – Nigerian Fish Farmer Tells Her Story
Forum | 1 month ago

Why I Almost Committed Suicide – Nigerian Fish Farmer Tells Her Story

We’re Only In Challenging Times, Nigerian Economy Not In Distress – Tinubu
Forum | 1 month ago

We’re Only In Challenging Times, Nigerian Economy Not In Distress – Tinubu