New Naira: Rivers Hoodlums Hijack Protest, Invade Market, Rob Residents

Forum 1 year ago

New Naira: Rivers Hoodlums Hijack Protest, Invade Market, Rob Residents

Protests against naira scarcity have been hijacked by hoodlums in Rivers state on Friday.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/82688ef968922a4d398e3d002813c6b6.jpg

Punch reported that the hoodlums hijacked the protest to rob residents and business owners in Port Harcourt.

Scores of hoodlums invaded the Mile 3 and Mile 1 markets forcing traders to accept the old notes or risk their goods.

Many traders locked their shops and fled, while residents were robbed by the hoodlums.

Exploiting the protest that spread to the Ikoku area of Mile 3 down to Ikwerre Road in Mile 1, all in the metropolis, the hoodlums also robbed passengers and dispossessed passers-by of their possessions.

The PUNCH earlier reported that the scarcity of the new naira notes took its toll on Port Harcourt on Friday as violent protests erupted in the city.

Punch correspondent who visited the area reports that a detachment of policemen in patrol teams and an Armoured Personnel Carrier had been stationed in the area to quell the situation.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Wike vs Fubara: I was offered money to impeach Rivers gov – Chief of Staff, Ehie
Forum | 3 hours ago

Wike vs Fubara: I was offered money to impeach Rivers gov – Chief of Staff, Ehie

Wike: ‘Intimidation has expiry date’ – Fubara amid Rivers crisis
Forum | 4 hours ago

Wike: ‘Intimidation has expiry date’ – Fubara amid Rivers crisis

Rivers lawmakers who defected to APC have lost their seats – Falana insists
Forum | 4 hours ago

Rivers lawmakers who defected to APC have lost their seats – Falana insists

Rivers crisis escalates as Wike, Fubara go full blown
Forum | 4 hours ago

Rivers crisis escalates as Wike, Fubara go full blown