Erik ten Hag urges Man Utd not to 'burn money' despite 'need' for new striker

Forum 1 year ago

Erik ten Hag urges Man Utd not to 'burn money' despite 'need' for new striker

Erik ten Hag has admitted that while he 'needs' a new striker added to his Manchester United ranks this month, he does not want the club to 'burn money' doing so.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/2407ca7e201cf27491fe6996b869cb6c.jpg

The Red Devils are on the hunt for a new forward following the mutual termination of Cristiano Ronaldo's contract back in November, though they have seen key target Cody Gakpo sign for Liverpool in recent days.

Marcus Rashford has returned to top form this season, while Anthony Martial has looked promising on the rare occasions that he's been fit to play from the off.

Speaking ahead of United's Premier League clash with Bournemouth, Ten Hag discussed plans to bring in a new striker.

"We have a good team when all the players are available. But with many games coming up, I think there is a need [for a striker]," he said.

"You need one who can have an impact, otherwise you are just burning money."

Ten Hag then spoke specifically about Martial's quiet performance against Wolves on New Year's Eve, insisting he still has faith in the Frenchman despite the off day.

"He didn't play for a long time and probably this [Wolves] wasn't his game," Ten Hag added.

"I'm really happy with his performances across many games. If you see the minutes he's played and the impact he's had so far, it's really huge."Erik ten Hag has admitted that while he 'needs' a new striker added to his Manchester United ranks this month, he does not want the club to 'burn money' doing so.

The Red Devils are on the hunt for a new forward following the mutual termination of Cristiano Ronaldo's contract back in November, though they have seen key target Cody Gakpo sign for Liverpool in recent days.

Marcus Rashford has returned to top form this season, while Anthony Martial has looked promising on the rare occasions that he's been fit to play from the off.

Speaking ahead of United's Premier League clash with Bournemouth, Ten Hag discussed plans to bring in a new striker.

"We have a good team when all the players are available. But with many games coming up, I think there is a need [for a striker]," he said.

"You need one who can have an impact, otherwise you are just burning money."

Ten Hag then spoke specifically about Martial's quiet performance against Wolves on New Year's Eve, insisting he still has faith in the Frenchman despite the off day.

"He didn't play for a long time and probably this [Wolves] wasn't his game," Ten Hag added.

"I'm really happy with his performances across many games. If you see the minutes he's played and the impact he's had so far, it's really huge."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Neuromancer: Masters of the Air’s Callum Turner Joins Cast of New Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Series
Forum | 1 day ago

Neuromancer: Masters of the Air’s Callum Turner Joins Cast of New Apple TV+ Sci-Fi Series

Trying Season 4 Trailer Previews New Chapter in Apple TV+ Comedy
Forum | 1 day ago

Trying Season 4 Trailer Previews New Chapter in Apple TV+ Comedy

New Sleepy Hollow Movie in Development at Paramount
Forum | 1 day ago

New Sleepy Hollow Movie in Development at Paramount

EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Arteta reveals advantage Arsenal have over Liverpool, Man City in title race